Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I keep hearing about how a raw diet is so good for dental health. Are folks who feed their dogs raw also brushing daily (or on some other schedule)? And if so, what are your suggested tools for teeth brushing? I've seen traditional brushes and finger brushes. Favorite toothpaste? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I don't feed raw, but I use Virbac CET vanilla mint toothpaste and dog toothbrushes I found on Amazon. The poodles tolerate the brushing pretty well and the golden retriever begs to have her teeth brushed! This flavor of paste smells really good. I have heard the meat flavored toothpastes are really gross!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I raw feed and also brush teeth, though not as often as I should. Plus I give my dog bully sticks. I’m afraid to give raw bones. I used to but heard so many emergency surgery experiences from veterinarians I’ve stopped. Even so I don’t think raw bones and bully sticks hit enough surfaces to replace tooth brushing.
This is the toothpaste I use. My dog loves it, like it’s one of her favorite treats. She comes when she sees the tube and opens wide. My problem is trying to get around her tongue lapping the toothpaste up.
It’s poultry flavored but doesn’t smell gross. To me it doesn’t have a smell at all.
Sentry Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste

I used a finger brush when I first got her to get her used to my finger in her mouth, but a finger brush doesn’t do much to really brush the teeth.
I probably wasted the money on the finger brush. Now I just use a regular dog toothbrush with no problems other than battling her tongue.
If anyone uses an electric brush I’d be interested to know if they like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts