Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that do any raw diets I'd like to know what some of your recipes are like, not real specific but what are your dogs favorite meat as well as whats the best for them?

Also do you believe in and or use suppliments? And was there a cost savings/increase? I am looking (just looking right now) at a couple different things but I am really a bit confused on some of it. Mainlt concerning the bones, as well as servings.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'll be trying raw when I get my poodle, but I'll be doing prey model, so he or she will be getting a whole rabbit (or half in the morning and half in the evening.)

I've never done raw before, so it'll be a new experience.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Riley eats a prey model raw diet. I buy meats and cut them up/"make" them myself. I dont feed veggies as dogs dont need them, and the only supplement i give is fish oil. 6 years later and no problems. I have never really done the math, but i would guess that in general it is either the same cost as a high quality kibble i would buy or cheaper. Depends on what meat/price i get. I feed chicken, turkey, pork, rabbit, venison, some beef, some fish.

I dont really go by a "recipe" so much as a guideline. I try and have an Average of 80-85% meat in the diet. I am not heavy on bone, and he gets some organs. By average, i mean every meal doesnt have to be balanced. There are many days he goes boneless, doesnt get organs, etc. We dont eat a balanced meal every day either.

As far as his favorite and whats best, it depends. Riley does not have a favorite meat. He will eat anything i put in his bowl willingly (unlike kibble, and except fish)! Is very excited for every meal! We had pickyness troubles on kibble, but he hasnt missed a meal since (except when sick). Whats best for them for foods is varitey. You cant feed just a chicken or whatever diet. I know people that argue that pork is the best food. I know others that Wont feed pork. I try and average out different meats. Im not saying that i wont go on a chicken kick if funds are low, but i try to get other sources as soon as i can. If you have hunting friends, great! Get their extra or freezer burned meat.

If you have the freezer space then buy bulk!! It is Way cheaper! My local butchers can get me good deals if i get 20-40lb cases of it. We have a chest freezer so this works out great. There are many wonderful books out there to help get you started, and many nice internet groups. I didnt start alone. After much reading and asking questions i gave Riley his first turkey neck. He took it into the yard, licked it for awhile and then chewed. We were off from there. You can ask here or PM me anytime if you have other questions. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am one of those lazy folks that just get the premade stuff and feed that! :biggrin: I feed Nature's Variety and Honest Kitchen. I am thinking of getting a grinder to do some chicken for the kids. Yum!! I bought my freezer just for the dogs!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I feed the prey model as well, I do add fish oil, sea meal, and sometimes a bit of plain yougert. I have been doing this for about a year now and they are thriving on it!! It's about the same price as high quality dog food and I also get good deals buying in bulk from the butcher. We feed mainly chicken, but have fed turkey, lamb, beef and rabbit. The more variety the better. They prey model is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat. but as bigpoodle person said its dosn't have to be exact, it all evens out. I do sometimes add berries and some veg, but as I said on another thread we went to wolf haven and they feed raw prey model, no veg or fruit, no grain, no kibble so if it works for them..... The main thing is don't be afraid to try. The dog food industries would like us to think that we are too stupid to feed our dog properly and that they are the experts with their "complete and balanced" dog foods. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some of the foods out there are pretty good, some would curl your hair they are so bad, and some are down right poison. If I sould like I am up on a soap box it is because my dad was one of the people who lost his beloved Chow to the poison dog food a few years ago. It took out her kidneys, and broke his heart, now he won't even think about getting another dog.

·
Registered
109 Posts
For those that do any raw diets I'd like to know what some of your recipes are like, not real specific but what are your dogs favorite meat as well as whats the best for them?

Also do you believe in and or use suppliments? And was there a cost savings/increase? I am looking (just looking right now) at a couple different things but I am really a bit confused on some of it. Mainlt concerning the bones, as well as servings.

Thanks
The serving size guideline is 2% of your dogs body weight. then you adjust up or down depending on activity etc... I feed Chicken wings, Turkey necks etc... for bones. Raw of course. I stay away from the bigger harder bones. My friends Rottie broke a tooth on a buffelo bone. The smaller animal bones are a bit softer and more plyable. One of the benifits is great teeth, clean and white

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Spoospirit and I feed a combo... kibble (in our case it is Diamond Brand for athletic dogs) and raw. I feed kibble in the morning and raw at night, spoo vice/versa. My dogs love any of the meats.. chicken, turkey, beef, pork, organ meat and whitting fish. Funny thing is, only Chantel will eat liver raw. None of the others will touch it unless cooked, and both Jade (my 8 yr old dobie) and Ivy are chow hounds so it really is odd...lol. They are fussy about what raw fish they get but they do love whitting and love to eat it frozen like a fish pop...lol.

I don't feed vegies as a general part of the diet, only occasionally, but they get organic kelp and flax daily, oh and also brewers yeast with garlic. They do get a combo of meat and bones normally everyday, with bone amount varying. They are doing great on this feeding, great coats and vigor, so I am happy with it. Right now with turkey going for 47 cents a pound, you can guess what meat they are eating this week, and I have more in the freezer. :) I also made up the satin balls - which is hamburg and molasses and total cereal and lots of other stuff, and they get that interspersed with the other raw meats. Oh, and they also get plain yogurt a few times a week.

I find that all of my girls have great energy levels but are not hyper at all. When taken out to work or play, they are attentive and energetic, but in the house they are not hyper at all. I like that!! :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoospirit and I feed a combo... kibble (in our case it is Diamond Brand for athletic dogs) and raw. I feed kibble in the morning and raw at night, spoo vice/versa. My dogs love any of the meats.. chicken, turkey, beef, pork, organ meat and whitting fish. Funny thing is, only Chantel will eat liver raw. None of the others will touch it unless cooked, and both Jade (my 8 yr old dobie) and Ivy are chow hounds so it really is odd...lol. They are fussy about what raw fish they get but they do love whitting and love to eat it frozen like a fish pop...lol.

I don't feed vegies as a general part of the diet, only occasionally, but they get organic kelp and flax daily, oh and also brewers yeast with garlic. They do get a combo of meat and bones normally everyday, with bone amount varying. They are doing great on this feeding, great coats and vigor, so I am happy with it. Right now with turkey going for 47 cents a pound, you can guess what meat they are eating this week, and I have more in the freezer. :) I also made up the satin balls - which is hamburg and molasses and total cereal and lots of other stuff, and they get that interspersed with the other raw meats. Oh, and they also get plain yogurt a few times a week.

I find that all of my girls have great energy levels but are not hyper at all. When taken out to work or play, they are attentive and energetic, but in the house they are not hyper at all. I like that!! :)
OK great now this is helping me process my thoughts more. So chicken theighs, legs, wings they eat bones and all............? I will look up satin balls. Honestly I have avoided this because I did'nt think I could handle doing the raw.........makes me a little ill at the thought BUT I am reading a lot of benefits on it and was looking at kibble for AM and raw for PM

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
So chicken theighs, legs, wings they eat bones and all............?
Both of your standards are Plently large enough to eat every part of a chicken. They would probably be fine with turkey as well. I dont feed chicken wings unless they are attached to the bird still. They are too small for most dogs, and they are extreamly boney, so they need an additional meat source fed with it. Just remember to do bigger pieces until you know what they will do. Sometimes when dogs have smaller pieces when they start out they tend to gulp them whole. Big means they Have to chew. I feed Riley one large meal a day at lunch. This allows his gut to rest inbetween feedings (wolves in the wild go days/weeks between meals, so feeding multiple times a day is not natural for an adult), and it allows me to feed bigger pieces of meat.

Can i ask why some of you feed kibble and raw? Is it mostly for convience, or is there another reason? :) I keep kibble on hand, and Riley eats it fine when we travel or if i run out of food (only a small bag as i rarely use it).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I started with kibble in the morning and raw in the evening. I have sence switch to all raw altho I do sometimes feed kibble when I run out of raw and haven't had time to grind. when I do feed kibble it is Orijien but any no grain would be my advice. You don't have to grind the meat you can just give it cut up or some people feed whole carcases. I prefer to grind up bones and all and freeze into single serving packs. Then I supplment with cut up parts. just depends. The main thing is not to feed kibble and raw in the same meal. Raw digests a lot faster then kibble and feeding together can cause stomach upset.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I keep a couple cans of salmon or mackrel around and if I happen to not have something thawed, I'll mix up a can of green beans and fish for a meal.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I feed Riley one large meal a day at lunch. This allows his gut to rest inbetween feedings (wolves in the wild go days/weeks between meals, so feeding multiple times a day is not natural for an adult), and it allows me to feed bigger pieces of meat.
I've considered this too.. it would be a lot easier as well. When you thaw, do you just give the meat to your dog while it's still chilly, or do you thaw it to room temperature? I'm going to be feeding whole rabbits, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand lol.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Question for the raw feeders:
Do you prefer whole pieces of meat/bone to the premade stuff, like Stella and Chewy's?

I am assumint the answer is going to be 'yes' for the dental benefits.

The pet store woman told me that it was the enzymes rather than the bones themselves that benefit the teeth, but I am skeptical.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As soon as things get back to normal or somewhat normal, I am definitely going to do raw. Probably will start out raw in the mornings and kibble at night.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I feed the prey model as well, I do add fish oil, sea meal, and sometimes a bit of plain yougert. I have been doing this for about a year now and they are thriving on it!! It's about the same price as high quality dog food and I also get good deals buying in bulk from the butcher. We feed mainly chicken, but have fed turkey, lamb, beef and rabbit. The more variety the better. They prey model is 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ meat. but as bigpoodle person said its dosn't have to be exact, it all evens out. I do sometimes add berries and some veg, but as I said on another thread we went to wolf haven and they feed raw prey model, no veg or fruit, no grain, no kibble so if it works for them..... The main thing is don't be afraid to try. The dog food industries would like us to think that we are too stupid to feed our dog properly and that they are the experts with their "complete and balanced" dog foods. Nothing could be further from the truth. Some of the foods out there are pretty good, some would curl your hair they are so bad, and some are down right poison. If I sould like I am up on a soap box it is because my dad was one of the people who lost his beloved Chow to the poison dog food a few years ago. It took out her kidneys, and broke his heart, now he won't even think about getting another dog.
thanks for the advise. So where would I find Literature with recipes and amounts ? I am looking into ta grinder but know that dogs can eat raw chicken bones right? So what other bones can they eat without incident

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I've considered this too.. it would be a lot easier as well. When you thaw, do you just give the meat to your dog while it's still chilly, or do you thaw it to room temperature? I'm going to be feeding whole rabbits, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can beforehand lol.
will you raise the rabbits as well?

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
will you raise the rabbits as well?
No, I'll hunt them (that sounds so trashy in text lol.) There's just going to be a lot more cleaning involved since the wild rabbits around here have fleas (but no diseases as far as I've heard.) But if we can't find a good spot at the time, I'll buy them from a farm or feed kibble, haven't really looked for a place that sells, but I know someone that buys from farms.

I've talked to the boyfriend about raising the rabbits, but he said absolutely not, that we would get attached to them and it would be like killing a pet. We also don't want to torture the dogs with a rabbit hutch, since I'll be picking dogs that'll have a strong retrieving drive for game retrieval, which means they'll probably have a high prey drive. xP

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
No, I'll hunt them (that sounds so trashy in text lol.) There's just going to be a lot more cleaning involved since the wild rabbits around here have fleas (but no diseases as far as I've heard.) But if we can't find a good spot at the time, I'll buy them from a farm or feed kibble, haven't really looked for a place that sells, but I know someone that buys from farms.

I've talked to the boyfriend about raising the rabbits, but he said absolutely not, that we would get attached to them and it would be like killing a pet. We also don't want to torture the dogs with a rabbit hutch, since I'll be picking dogs that'll have a strong retrieving drive for game retrieval, which means they'll probably have a high prey drive. xP
Ya the prey drive thing could be a problem.. Keeping them separate would be an issue for sure. But they are so prolific..... If I could find someone that would butcher tho I would like to raise them. Just for the sake of knowing what they eat as well......

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Ya the prey drive thing could be a problem.. Keeping them separate would be an issue for sure. But they are so prolific..... If I could find someone that would butcher tho I would like to raise them. Just for the sake of knowing what they eat as well......
Oh I'm not worried about what the rabbits eat. If I've eaten the rabbits myself before, and they tasted fine and everything was fine after eating them, then I'm not worried about giving them to my dogs. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts