Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to feed my miniature poodle raw meaty bones occasionally. I have seen turkey necks, chicken wings, etc. Could someone who feeds raw bones tell me what the safest ones are? She tends to wolf down any kind of raw food, so that could be an issue.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I give my 16 week old standard raw chicken wings in the morning, but I always break them at the joints, which he normally chews off at and swallows that piece whole if that males sense. He's never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You know I would love a visual of a raw feeding......so I can wrap my head around it. Feeding raw chicken wings in the morning seems easy enough I just cannot picture it. I think if I were to do this I would do it outside though.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
No, I don't cut them off. I put gloves on so I can grasp the suckers easier, then just twist the wings at the joint until the bones come out of the socket and the joint can twist in any direction, but it's still attached through the skin and muscle.

I feed him in the kitchen with him tethered to a cabinet so he doesn't walk all over the kitchen with his food, once he's done I just spray down the area with disinfectant and wipe it down.

Here's where I break the joints at.
chickenwing.jpg

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My breeder recommended necks, and I've wanted to add variety, but I can't find them anywhere. xD So I'd say go for it, I'd give it a few twists and cracks before you gave it to your mini at first to see how she does with it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Honestly you could even go with a whole chicken quarter...let her eat a bit and then take it and put it away, repeat for a few days until gone!

They're super cheap. :)

I give our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who is 13lbs (ish) pounds:
Chicken wings
quarters
just the drumsticks
necks
duck necks
turkey necks
turkey thighs
bone in chicken breast
pork riblets
rabbit leg or head (ick I know)
and more, and he manages just fine with it all. :D

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
If your dog tends to gulp raw food then i would suggest the bigger the piece the better. Make it too big for her to gulp, but small enough to still chew on. Pick it up after awhile as it will probably be too much for one sitting.
Chicken necks are really small, but a small turkey neck should be just fine. They are pretty soft, so she shouldnt have much trouble with it.

Ollie, what kind of a visual do you need? :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You are awesome!!!

Every since you talked about your dogs teeth being so much better it would be worth it for this - because they do have some build up and I can be slack sometimes.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Great link!

This is the only picture have of Riley eating.

With is ears short i dont have to worry about him getting anything on them like he used to (sometimes he could eat his ear feathers with his food :doh:) You can buy a snood though if that is a problem.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Oh wow - I feel like a kid in a candy store! I am getting so much info today lol!!! And fast too.

Thanks ladies!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Great link!

This is the only picture have of Riley eating.

[With is ears short i dont have to worry about him getting anything on them like he used to (sometimes he could eat his ear feathers with his food :doh:) You can buy a snood though if that is a problem.
Does Riley eat outside?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you guys want to pick my brain, feel free to PM me.
I am so so so happy I switched my dogs to raw. :)

I taught them to eat from Towels because it is too cold for my little cavalier to eat outside in the harsh WI winters. ;)

In the summer they will be outside though.
Especially fish. *gag*

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Does Riley eat outside?
Yes he does, all year round. If it is extreamly cold, rainy, or other harsh conditions i will close him in the garage. He is very happy to go lay on a snow bank, have snow flurries fall around him and chow down his food. I put the food bowl in the garage, and he carries the meat out to the grass. It has always worked well for us, and we have some pretty harsh winters and hot summers. The bugs dont bother him either.

If we move into an apartment though, or have multiple dogs i will probably have to change our routine. I will just have to see.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts