Poodle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blueberry and Scribble have never had raw bones, mainly because we have no outdoor space and they are messy boys who surely would get meat juice everywhere. Yuck. But we are going on a trip where they will have access to outdoor space and I’d like to give them a treat. Do I need to ease into it? Anything I should know? Do I just go to butcher and get some marrow bones?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Dogs can still crack their teeth on raw bones if those bones are strong weight-bearing bones. Some dogs are ok with these larger raw bones because they are supervised and only allowed to clean the meat off them, but they aren't allowed to chew the actual bone. Safe raw bones for chewing/eating would be something like pork or lamb ribs, or turkey neck. But you want to give them with meat still attached. Beef bones tend to be too dense even if they aren't weight bearing.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My pup is given raw bones on occasion. We get either marrow or rib bone from a company called Big Country Raw here in Canada. I find that the marrow is sometimes much too rich, and Bennie ends up throwing up after eating it. I do take the bones away when all that is left is the bones themselves. The other suggestion I’d make with two dogs is to be mindful of creating resource guarding opportunities. I’d probably separate them when giving them their treats juuuuuuust in case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My Lucky has a sensitive stomach, and when we first got him, I wasn't aware of it. It took FOREVER to figure out what it was, and lots of testing....only to learn that he has a sensitive stomach. My understanding is that poodles are prone to that.

Who knew?!?!

Anyway....my vet recommended to just stick with his normal diet. I haven't tried any bones or treats since.

But my other two, a poodle and a labradoodle, don't seem to have any problem. But we give only small doses of treats.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,201 Posts
I give Elroy raw marrow bones once in a while. He's not an aggressive chewer at all and only works the bone to get the good stuff cleaned off. One thing to be careful about is make sure the hole in the center of the marrow bone is small enough that it's not possible for them to fit their lower jaw through it. If they get it stuck on their jaw, it can become an emergency situation. Another precaution is to make sure the bone is longer than their jaws protrude. I use the shorter bones with smaller holes though. This way Elroy can get all the marrow out.
Raw, skinless, chicken legs/wings/thighs/necks are also good. They (spoo's anyway) can eat the entire things without fear.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dogs have had raw chicken wings, legs, and necks. I stock up on turkey necks around Thanksgiving, they are usually very cheap. I also give raw rabbit at times - the entire head if it was a smaller rabbit, a leg, or loin piece with backbone. I don't feed my dogs exclusively raw, but try to give some periodically.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two thoughts: as previously mentioned, the marrow is quite rich. I try to give a marrow bone earlier in the day as sometimes it gives my spoo very loose stools. If he gets them late in the day he wakes me up about 2am needing to go outside.

Also, and I'm sure this is obvious to everyone except me 😂 if they can't reach the marrow in the center of the bone, you can take a small spoon and scoop it out or push it closer to the end of the bone. Probably everyone knows this, but I'm not always the sharpest tool in the shed

I too am now shying away from the marrow bones. Knuckle bones keep my two spoos busy for awhile. When they're done I give the bones to my sister for her black lab. He's not fussy and could probably entertain himself with a cinder block.

Curious: has anyone ever tried those exotic bones they sell? Ostrich, etc?

·
Administrator
14,415 Posts
I gave my boy Tucker a lamb bone once, as a special treat, and he got so sick afterward. I think it was just too rich and unlike his usual treats.

If you’re on a trip, there’s already going to be a lot of excitement and routine changes, which can cause tummy upset, so I would proceed with caution.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You have to ease into anything that the dog is not accustomed to or you take a chance on diarrhea city. Yikes
For each dog it depends also on what kind of chewer they are. Mr. Layne, my male Spoo you can give him almost any kind of raw bone. He does not go at the bone to crack it. My Giant Schnauzer... no... you dare not have given her something like that because she had every intention of cracking it open. They're 2 ends of the spectrum. So for young dogs I like rib bones & I supervise them but my dogs are raw fed so they are accustomed to raw meaty things. I start most of my pups out on chicken wings & advice them as a starting point for dogs (even adults) to learn before they move on to bigger bones. Always supervise for safety reasons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Blueberry and Scribble have never had raw bones, mainly because we have no outdoor space and they are messy boys who surely would get meat juice everywhere. Yuck. But we are going on a trip where they will have access to outdoor space and I’d like to give them a treat. Do I need to ease into it? Anything I should know? Do I just go to butcher and get some marrow bones?
This is some data for you; I’ve had three greyhounds. My husband had two. Now we have one greyhound, 9 years old and a 18 month standard poodle. Our dogs have always gotten raw bones, rib, marrow and whatever beef bones. In fact We give our current greyhound and Standard Poodle a bone every night. We have never had a chipped or crackec tooth on any of our dogs. I suppose it could happen. They have never had a cleaning or any dental work. Every vet has told us they have never seen such beautiful teeth. Our dogs are very thorough and there is never a mess to clean up either. But you do have to remove slimy bones when they are done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts