Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitch has graduated from the dog park to off leash in the ravine! He's very happy with his new found freedom. Here are some pictures from our trip earlier this week. He can't wait to go tomorrow!!

I'm sitting, now throw it!

Whoops, it slipped!

This is as good as my down is going to get

*more*

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fluffy! It's funny, he had that collar from his previous home, and at first I really didn't like it, but it has really grown on me, and it is PERFECT for him.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Lucky lucky! Or more so a very Super job!! Love the pics!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So nice that you can trust him off leash. Makes it a lot more fun for both of you. He is a handsome guy too.
Thank you. It is WAY more fun, and I look forward to checking out other "unofficial" dog park areas now that he doesn't need to be fenced in.

Lucky lucky! Or more so a very Super job!! Love the pics!
Thanks! I'm very lucky that he listens now. I was afraid that might not ever happen :p

Those are really good pictures! I wish i had a ball crazy dog, would make exercise in the cold much easier!
The pictures were taken with my iphone. I'm surprised at their quality, they're better than our point and shoot digital camera. He's ball CRAZY alright, but he prefers to toss the ball to himself and run around with it in his mouth than play fetch.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Soo cute!!! He looks like he's having a lot of fun.

Can I ask- how did you knwo you could trust him off leash?

Is there a way to test him for a bit?

I'd love to do this with my mini since we have sooooo many big open parks here but I have no idea if she would be good or not :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soo cute!!! He looks like he's having a lot of fun.

Can I ask- how did you knwo you could trust him off leash?

Is there a way to test him for a bit?
Thanks, he certainly enjoyed himself, and I'm glad that came through in the photos. He always looks so serious in photos, it's nice to know he looks happy in these!

Looong explanation ahead about off leash stuff:
I started working with him off leash while in the fenced dog park. I would ask him to sit before asking for his ball, and then make him wait in a sit until I said "ready?" and would throw it. That got him listening to me and following commands. Then before we would leave, I would walk to the other side of the dog park and call him saying "let's go", and then before we left I would say "collar" and hook him up to his leash. I did this so that he knew when playtime was over and so that leashing him up didn't turn into a "catch me first" type game.
When I felt sort of confident in his listening skills, I started taking him to the partially fenced school yard around the corner. I would leave his leash on and throw his ball and work on sit stays and down stays. Then he graduated to off leash in the school yard.
I would also leave his leash on him but let him run ahead up to the dog park.
Then one day the dog park turned to a sheet of ice, and the kids were back in school, so I took a chance and went down to the ravine, left his leash on, and threw his ball. I would run and call his name and he would follow and that was that. I knew he was ready.

Not sure how to test it exactly, but you could leave her leash on, have lots of yummmmy treats or a favourite toy with you, stay FAR away from any traffic and see how she does. Run around and get her to follow you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts