Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9yr old very sweet
standard poodle that was diagnosed with Addison's disease when she was 3 yr. old. She has done very well on prednisone and fludrocortisone since then. I do get concerned and have had my vet check her numerous times for very rapid breathing. I have counted her respiratory rate at 104 when she was sitting still. I was recently going to have her teeth cleaned and cancelled because I was afraid for her to have general anesthesia, my vet told me her labs were good as well as her breath sounds but if I didn't feel good about it, let's not do it. Has anyone else had this issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have not had a dog with this specific issue, but I did have a 14 year old dog with a lung disease. Our vet was concerned about putting her under anesthesia and referred us to a veterinary dentist. The dentist was able to do the work quickly and effectively, and he used a different type of anesthesia. Our dog did great! I would definitely recommend a veterinary dentist for a senior dog or one with health problems. Our dog come out happy and wagging her tail! In the past, she has had trouble with anesthesia. She would come home acting like a drunk human. She also had trouble regulating her body temperature in the past when under anesthesia. She had zero problems at the dentist. It was worth the extra cost for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
The rapid breathing does sound concerning. Is it consistently high? Do you notice any changes at different temperatures? You said she was supposed to go in for dental work. Is there a possibility she is in pain from an abscesses tooth or any other ailment?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not had a dog with this specific issue, but I did have a 14 year old dog with a lung disease. Our vet was concerned about putting her under anesthesia and referred us to a veterinary dentist. The dentist was able to do the work quickly and effectively, and he used a different type of anesthesia. Our dog did great! I would definitely recommend a veterinary dentist for a senior dog or one with health problems. Our dog come out happy and wagging her tail! In the past, she has had trouble with anesthesia. She would come home acting like a drunk human. She also had trouble regulating her body temperature in the past when under anesthesia. She had zero problems at the dentist. It was worth the extra cost for me.
Thanks, I will check into that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rapid breathing does sound concerning. Is it consistently high? Do you notice any changes at different temperatures? You said she was supposed to go in for dental work. Is there a possibility she is in pain from an abscesses tooth or any other ailment?
Her respiratory rate is consistently high, not always extremely high, but always high. Right now she is napping on my bed and it’s 52. My vet saw no signs of an abscess or infection in her mouth. He has X-rayed her chest and she has regular lab work to follow the Addison’s. He thinks it is just her baseline. I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts