Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really necessary to always blow dry your toy poodle after bathing her?

I only blow dry belle after bathing during the cold season so she doesn't freeze. Even then she's not always COMPLETELY dry before I let her run.

I keep her coat short so I never really thought it to be necessary to always blow dry her..

It's not that I'm too lazy it's just the blow dryer really stresses her out and I hate "torturing" her so to speak.

The bath itself is a disaster within itself I just don't like adding more stress onto her. In fact the ONLY time when she isn't a pain for me when bathing her is when I jump in the shower and she goes in there with me. She's pretty calm then but if it's a tub full of water she FLIPS out.

She used to not be like this so I don't know why all of a sudden she acts as if she's dying in the tub. :(

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I think the main reason for the dryer (except in cold months, when you need it so they don't freeze) is to straighten the curls in the coat. If you don't mind the curly look and your pup won't freeze with a wet coat, I don't think the dryer is necessary.

I'm babysitting a standard poodle for a friend over the Thanksgiving weekend (he goes home today) and his coat is the CURLIEST I've ever seen!!! They never use a dryer on him (except when it's cold)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Is it really necessary to always blow dry your toy poodle after bathing her?

I only blow dry belle after bathing during the cold season so she doesn't freeze. Even then she's not always COMPLETELY dry before I let her run.

I keep her coat short so I never really thought it to be necessary to always blow dry her..

It's not that I'm too lazy it's just the blow dryer really stresses her out and I hate "torturing" her so to speak.

The bath itself is a disaster within itself I just don't like adding more stress onto her. In fact the ONLY time when she isn't a pain for me when bathing her is when I jump in the shower and she goes in there with me. She's pretty calm then but if it's a tub full of water she FLIPS out.

She used to not be like this so I don't know why all of a sudden she acts as if she's dying in the tub. :(
I think as long as your brushing her out I don't think you need to. BUT I would blow dry around the ears and neck area, try not to leave that area damp. As I discovered it can collect a smell.

If she is good in the shower with you, thats good if she shows stress. I do not place them in a tub of water I stick with the spray only. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I let my poodles air dry especially when it is warmer outside. I like the straight hair look, so I go back and mist the hair then blow dry. I would definately make sure my poodle was completely dry before going out in the cold though, just as a precaution so she won't get sick.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yeah the dryer is mostly to straighten the curls and dry the dog so they won't be cold, so it's okay if you want to let her air dry. But you should definitely keep up with brushing her, as my understanding is that the curly hair mats way easier. Many people let their poodles air dry and then go back when the dog is mostly dry to give them a thorough brushing, to straighten the coat a little and prevent matting from the wet, curly hair.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We do blow dry but that is because our spoos are in show coat. If they were in a utility coat and it was warm, I would let them air dry and then spray them with a conditioner later and brush out. Have to keep those mats away.

We use a spray head to do the spoos. They are good with that. I think some of them would have a problem if we put water in the tub.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would use a spray head but we don't have one so it's either tub of water or in the shower with me unfortunately.

PS: Ever notice that it always seems to rain AFTER you bathe your dog? So annoying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts