Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dutch is starting to grow out from a recent short groom(I am sorry no pics not even my kids have recent pics) and I am noticing longer very coarse black hairs everywhere especially on his back. Does anyone know what these are? Are they old hair he is getting rid of or new hair he is getting? For those of you who do not know Dutch is a one year old male Spoo who is silver. They stick up higher then his softer hair and when I graze them with my hand I think it tickles him because he jumps and looks back at his back!! It is so funny to watch.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
that's the guard hairs of his adult coat, and they'll always be there. They're most noticable when they haven't had a clip for a while, as they stick up a tad longer than the rest of the softer undercoat, but after a clipping will be all the same length again!!

Paris has them along her topline, most concentrated over her withers, fading out along her back and up her neck, as well as down her sides where they disappear totally. lol. Half of hers are also a deep cream, verging on an apricot colour, but the rest are white so you don't really notice unless looking at them specifically. lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes, perfectly normal... just guard hairs. Enjoy the different looks a silver can bring.
Here are pictures of Addie... freshly cut before delivering 13 puppies and one of her in grown out hair that shows how much darker they appear with the guard hair.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes, perfectly normal... just guard hairs. Enjoy the different looks a silver can bring.
Here are pictures of Addie... freshly cut before delivering 13 puppies and one of her in grown out hair that shows how much darker they appear with the guard hair.
Addie is a gorgeous dog dessertreef! After reds I like silvers the best because they very so in depth and range of color! Nothing like having one of each to call them Penny and Nickel!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I agree with everyone ist just guard hairs Enzo's Ghairs are white !

I will see if I can get a close up picture for you later today. :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Billy has them too. He is 15-months now and went through his coat change around 12-months. I spent a month pulling out his baby hair with a continental clip! His guard hairs and his sister's, Grace, are concentrated in the neck area on top and fade out down the back and over the top of the head. They are very noticeable when they are due for a trim. For both of them, the guard hair is darker than the rest of their coat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts