Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trainer suggested I do Rally with Flip, she thinks he'd be great at it, but she doesn't train it.

What does everyone think of Rally?
Do any of you participate?
Is it fun?

TIA

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I watched some rally trials at the dog show here in Bismarck this last summer... it looked like fun!! They're starting rally classes here in January, and I've reserved a spot for me and Lucy. I'm looking forward to it! :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I saw some rally briefly online and it seemed really interesting. I noticed that the standard poodle would let out a "yip" whenever the owner would tell it a command like it just seemed to be forcing itself to contain how happy it was. Really cute.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What is that newish sport that is played with a ball? I have a ball crazy dog that would probably excel in it but i can't think of what it is called.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Maybe you are thinking of flyball? Rally is like obedience done in a pattern with several points in the pattern where you have to perform an obedience move... It was very interesting when I watched it last summer!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Rally is enjoyable. I find it much more relaxed than formal obedience - it can also be a good place to start a young dog before taking it on to obedience. You can talk to your dog while you are in the ring during the exercises (unlike obedience).

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Rally is great!
It's like a less formal, more fun version of obedience. But obedience is great too!
You don't have to have a perfect heel, just have your dog walk beside you and not lag. I suggest that you attend some Rally events to see what it is all about

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I definitely want to check it out, but it's really hard to find in my area!

However, last night we were introduced to some agility equipment, and Flip was a natural, he loved it. The trainer was suggesting I give it a shot with him, but no high jumping until he's older.

I guess we'll see.

Either way I'm sure he'll be good at either, he's so obedient and willing to please.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Rally is easy. You don't need to take a class. You can buy the signs and just set them up in your own yard.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Here are some pictures and a video from our first Rally trial.

009.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

howie and Leiawin.jpg

Rally is great, love it, love it, love it. The best part is that it's more relaxed and thus more fun than formal obedience is, IMO at least.

You could just get a rally book and order or make the signs yourself. I took a class and found that 100 times more helpful than the books I had gotten personaly. It's easy to misunderstand the sign discriptions and that second set of eyes watching you can catch something you didn't even know you were doing. I only took one class mostly to learn the signs and more about the rules and regs, did everything else on my own. Howie got his first title 6 weeks later in three trials :) good boy.

I don't know if they have any Rally training videos but that would be awsome too, probably as good as the class since you can see in movement what they are talking about.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
it's only just over 2 weeks now until we (me & Jak) have a triple rally show we're going to, we'll get pics to share, and hopefully Paris does well enough to get her title (only need two more 90+ scores....)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts