Poodle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Oh my words don't convey what pictures can. Elroy will be parallel to the wall and once you kneel next to him you should be looking at him and then the wall so that your chest and abdomen are facing his side. Keep his feet on the board. Hope that says it better.
Yes, I get it now. Will try this tomorrow. Thanks again!
(poodle tax)
Dog Wood Fence Tints and shades Companion dog

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Elroy learned the tuck sit today. I think he was just too tired yesterday to learn it. I didn't even do anything different, just started with a fresh poodle this time! He was stepping his front feet on the board yesterday, but just wouldn't keep them there when he sat (regular sit). Today, the first attempt, I withheld the reward with his regular sit (first try), and next he offered the tuck sit! Bingo/Jackpot!!! Feed-feed-feed! He gave it to me pretty consistently after that. Such a smart boy! Love my Elroy💞! Now I'll practice it regularly until he can get it on queue, "tuck". Thanks for the advice!
Dog Window Wood Carnivore Flooring

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Thaat's brave playing with the flirt pole in the house! We would have insanity and massive destruction of property if we showed the flirt pole in the house. I am glad see see that the tuck sit is starting to catch on.

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I made a small version for my Dad to use in his house. He isn't a huge fan of going outside in this cold winter season. Definitely not the best idea, but so far so good🤣!

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Remember there are two eager flirt pole players here though so definitely more hazards possible. My mom hates being out in the cold too. She is retreating to Florida on Feb 6th for a month. I wish she wasn't going because of COVID, but she is her own person and in charge of her daily doings. Besides she wants to see my brother and his new house. Are you all ready for the snow?

Reactions: Skylar

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
My Dad's is a block down the street. We visit daily, sometimes twice daily, by taking a break from the cold during our walks. My Mom has passed so he's home alone most times. Elroy makes him (and me) very happy! Elroy is very happy to see him too!
Whatever snow we get, I'm ready. Looks like the 'blizzard' conditions will be closer to the cape. Predicting around 6" for my area. What part of Long Island are you in? Hope you weather the storm with no issues.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
We are in Huntington so north shore western Suffolk county. I think we may get more than you but who knows. Poodles wll be happy to have enough to make it playful. I am bummed because I was planning to take Javelin to a nice training place off NJ Tpke exit 7, too far to go if the weather is on the bas side of the forecast.

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Well Friday finally came around (last weeks class was canceled) and we got in another Rally class last night. The first half was lectures and demos (Danette & her 17 month labrador puppy, Enzo), and the second half was running the course. Still, for Elroy (and several others), I think the lecture is the hardest part. I spend lots of treats on him during the lecture to keep his attention and from staring at other dogs. I use the two second rule (gazing any longer than 2 seconds is staring, and not allowed) and then break it up.
Once our turn came around, Elroy and I did pretty good. Once we start, he keeps his attention on me really well. I'm sure he knows he's working! This week had a lot of left turns/pivots. We had a "send your dog away, and sit" where I would tell Elroy to go to the cone and sit. There was a clover leaf pattern around 4 cones. There was a halt>sit>wait>pivot right. He did pretty good. I had trouble doing a 360° circle left, but figured it out in a couple of tries. The cloverleaf got really close to 3 onlookers (dogs & handlers) and Elroy went off course towards them for a second. I retried it with a treat lure and he had no problem with it then. He did the stop>sit>wait really good. He did stop>sit>pivot & go pretty good, but we'll have to work on that one to get it better. For the send your dog away and sit sign, I just led him on leash to and (with outstretched arm) around the cone, then before he was all the way around, I asked him to sit, and he did. All in all, we did really well (I think). Danette seemed pleased with how he did too!
Another thing I learned is that there is no differentiation between training novice and/or expert class. She is teaching Rally (Novice - Master). It's your (mine) job to ask questions pertaining to your own level. Several of the signs we trained are expert, and some are master. To be honest, I didn't think any of them were terribly difficult. Maybe if I was being scored, I learn otherwise 🤣. Anyway, I like it, and I'm pretty sure Elroy likes it, so we're going to keep it up for a while!
Dog Working animal Carnivore Pet supply Fawn

Green Flooring Floor Comfort Luggage and bags

Vertebrate Light Mammal Hat Dog

Dog Dog breed Flooring Grey Floor

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Flooring Floor

Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I’m so glad you and Elroy are doing so well in Rally. I always think of this as ballroom dancing with your dog.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Your 2 second rule regarding staring is excellent. Staring is one of the most surefire way for dogs to get in trouble.

It is really wonderful that Danette is teaching all levels of signs. Javelin knows almost all signs from all rally levels too. If you decide to trial you will find yourself flying through the titles so it is good to have master signs mastered early on.

• Love
Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I had a feeling the staring avoidance rule probably came from your focus class. I spend a lot of time in my focus class and novice classes making sure that nobody is allowed to develop staring habits. The other day I was talking to my novice folks so I had them put their dogs on down stays. Of the four of them only one was really relaxed and off duty on the down. He had his head down and his eyes closed. I asked the other people if they thought their dogs were relaxed. One of them said no because she could see her dog was scanning the room IBelgian Shepherd, so the herding dog thing) The other two said they thought their dogs were relaxed since they were on downs. I said I didn't think either of those dogs was really relaxed and to show them why they weren't I took just a few steps towards one of them and he broke his down because he was watching me and I was moving towards him a little bit. For the other one (a very green dog) all I had to do was point at her to call out to the handler that she was trying very hard to engage the really relaxed dog when she jumped up and took steps towards him. Thankfully I only had those four people and they were well spread out. It is very worthwile to learn to read canine body language. Seeing intention signals before they turn into full blown behaviors is a great skill for all of us.

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I had a feeling the staring avoidance rule probably came from your focus class. I spend a lot of time in my focus class and novice classes making sure that nobody is allowed to develop staring habits. The other day I was talking to my novice folks so I had them put their dogs on down stays. Of the four of them only one was really relaxed and off duty on the down. He had his head down and his eyes closed. I asked the other people if they thought their dogs were relaxed. One of them said no because she could see her dog was scanning the room IBelgian Shepherd, so the herding dog thing) The other two said they thought their dogs were relaxed since they were on downs. I said I didn't think either of those dogs was really relaxed and to show them why they weren't I took just a few steps towards one of them and he broke his down because he was watching me and I was moving towards him a little bit. For the other one (a very green dog) all I had to do was point at her to call out to the handler that she was trying very hard to engage the really relaxed dog when she jumped up and took steps towards him. Thankfully I only had those four people and they were well spread out. It is very worthwile to learn to read canine body language. Seeing intention signals before they turn into full blown behaviors is a great skill for all of us.
It's a difficult habit to break for Elroy. Think I'll start another thread to get more input.

·
Premium Member
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
Last night's class focused primarily on FRONT'ing your dog and GOING AROUND your dog. We did pretty good again. The 2 side steps right was new. He did very good for his first time, not perfect, but very good. A little practice and he should nail it.
Font Rectangle Logo Circle Number

The other new one was MOVING STAND walk around.
Product Line Rectangle Font Parallel

He did the stand walk around on his 2nd try, but I missed on the moving stand part, so we really didn't make a proper attempt. This one will get more practice at home as well.
All in all another good, fun night. No pictures this week. There was a black lab team there this week that was very close to their RACh title so I got an appreciation for what smooth cohesive teamwork looks like😍!

ps: Danette says hi to you Catherine👋

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Lily has never loved that call front with the side steps. We muddle along with it, but Javelin is getting the hang of it. And I see lots of people who stop on their way around the dogs for the satnd sit and down while handler keeps moving. Lily is awesome on those three. I taught those by playing at noodley heeling with random sit, stand or down while i kept moving and then turned it into me going around her. I just started working on that set of behaviors with Javelin yesterday. I am glad you are having fun with this Tom. If nothing else you can do AKC trick dog titles and CGC but I think you would have fun showing it too.

Tell Danette hello right back when you see her for your next session. I know she is watching us on FB, but let her know we only need 11 master points to finish. We have 3 trials in March so hopefully we will finish next month. After that we will be at a poodles only trial in April. I wish we were going to show to Danette for one of those.

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
I'm sure that most Canadians have heard of Rally-O... but up here (and I suppose it depends on the sanctioning body... CKC?) we separate Rally and Obedience into two separate courses/trials. With completely different skills in each one.
Rally Novice - RN - leash on - 3 'legs' (repeats of a course with the same signs in a different layout)
Rally (something else that I can't remember) - R? - same as Novice but no leash
Rally Excellence - RE - no leash - distractions introduced

I took Spud through two legs of RN. But never tried an Obedience exercise.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
It is essentially the same here. Rally obedience and classical obedience events are separate trials with separate event numbers. Some people just call rally rally, but it is a sport that has origins in obedience and is thought of by many people as a stepping stone to get into classical obedience and by others as something to do with a dog that has finished its obedience career but still likes to do stuff. Since rally jumps are lower than obedience jumps it works well for many older dogs.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts