Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I signed Elroy and I up for a NOVICE Rally-O class. It's a "walk-in" class. You can see when openings are available make reservations online. It is this Friday at 6:30 pm. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be fun

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
I think Elroy is going to love this…

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Me too! I’ve wanted to do that with Bobby for a long time but but since the pandemic it’s difficult to impossible to find classes other than Obedience classes. I still always check though. Looking forward to hearing about Elroy’s new adventure! 😊

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Me too! I’ve wanted to do that with Bobby for a long time but but since the pandemic it’s difficult to impossible to find classes other than Obedience classes. I still always check though. Looking forward to hearing about Elroy’s new adventure! 😊
Where I live, there’s several levels of basic obedience classes before you are ready to take Rally. Usually start with puppy, then Basic 1 and 2. There may be one more of obedience concepts where you learn some terminology and basic requirements….. only then are you ready for Rally. Soooooooooo, consider taking more obedience classes if you need them so you will be ready when they offer rally classes. Also if you take the higher level of obedience, you can train yourself for rally.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bobby has had lots of classes and he has his CGC. I just keep waiting for a Rally class to become available. The pandemic has limited the specialty classes big time. Hmmmm…it seems I should look into doing Rally stuff at home.😊 I could even include Joey. He’s in Obedience I right now and I’ve been doing trick training with him at home. He loves to learn.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I signed Elroy and I up for a NOVICE Rally-O class. It's a "walk-in" class. You can see when openings are available make reservations online. It is this Friday at 6:30 pm. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be fun
Can you please share with me, what Rally-O is? Sorry I’m not familiar.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Bobby has had lots of classes and he has his CGC. I just keep waiting for a Rally class to become available. The pandemic has limited the specialty classes big time. Hmmmm…it seems I should look into doing Rally stuff at home.😊 I could even include Joey. He’s in Obedience I right now and I’ve been doing trick training with him at home. He loves to learn.
Babykins has titles in AKC and WCRL rally - both have lots of official and unofficial videos to show you what to do with explanations of what is key to doing it correctly. If you have trouble, there's several of us on PF who compete in Rally to help. Also since you have Joey in Obedience - you can ask your teacher to help with some of the definitions.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Can you please share with me, what Rally-O is? Sorry I’m not familiar.
Rally Obedience or Rally-0 for short is a dog sport where you run a course with stations with signs telling you what to do. For example, you might come up to station 1 and it says halt down. Once you down your dog you move on to the next and so on. Rally is scored out of base score of 100 and they deduct different amounts of point for things like pulling on the leash, or lagging really far behind you. While it is timed, the timing only comes into affect if there is a points tie for placing. Here is a good video showing Rally.
Unlike in Obedience you are allowed to talk to your dog throughout the whole course as much as you want. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Rally Obedience or Rally-0 for short is a dog sport where you run a course with stations with signs telling you what to do. For example, you might come up to station 1 and it says halt down. Once you down your dog you move on to the next and so on. Rally is scored out of base score of 100 and they deduct different amounts of point for things like pulling on the leash, or lagging really far behind you. While it is timed, the timing only comes into affect if there is a points tie for placing. Here is a good video showing Rally.
Unlike in Obedience you are allowed to talk to your dog throughout the whole course as much as you want. I hope this helps.
Too cute. It looks fun.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Load app "K9Rally" and you can see video of each specific challenge. @lily cd re recommended it, and after looking it over, it was (finally) clear just what Rally-O was. To me it is basically obedience (some of it advanced) training while you are walking/moving.
Elroy finished Family Dog I, and Family Dog II (twice). There were no other classes available for Elroy at the place I use, and Family Dog III was all filled up. I like the idea of continuing his learning, no matter what form it takes, so this is where I landed! I doubt we'll ever "compete", but I don't doubt that we'll be doing much more of it in the future. Can't wait to see how it goes!

·
Premium Member
24,952 Posts
Don't take too much concern out of prerequisites or names of classes there are no universal squences or requirements. that must be done to be able to train for rally. A lot of training for it can be done "at home" especially if you use the app and the video links to learn the signs. Remember that when you read descriptions of what is to be done what is bolded is the essentials part of the sign. You can also think of each sign as being like a trick. You can teach each trick in isolation. Then you can string them all together to start to show the dog that they can't break off from the game after single tricks.Remember that rally is supposed to be fun and demonstrate team effort.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
678 Posts
Rally is fun. The K9Rally app is a handy resource, but it only covers a few of the nearly dozen organizations in the US and Canada that offer titles.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Aw, that's disappointing.

Tom, do you know which rally your club trains and probably holds competitions? There's several rally organizations and the rules are different.

If your club is an AKC club then they will be teaching AKC rally and the app that Catherine recommends is the best.

However if your club is not AKC they may be teaching a different rally. Most of the non-AKC clubs near me do WCRL rally (World Cyanosport Rally Limited). C-wags and UKC are different organizations that each have their own rally. While they are overall similar, and to people who don't compete in rally, they probably look the same - there are small but important details between them so you can't use the phone app for one organization if you compete in another.

I competed in both AKC and WCRL and I know many people who do the same.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Aw, that's disappointing.

Tom, do you know which rally your club trains and probably holds competitions? There's several rally organizations and the rules are different.

If your club is an AKC club then they will be teaching AKC rally and the app that Catherine recommends is the best.

However if your club is not AKC they may be teaching a different rally. Most of the non-AKC clubs near me do WCRL rally (World Cyanosport Rally Limited). C-wags and UKC are different organizations that each have their own rally. While they are overall similar, and to people who don't compete in rally, they probably look the same - there are small but important details between them so you can't use the phone app for one organization if you compete in another.

I competed in both AKC and WCRL and I know many people who do the same.
Yes, each one does have their own rules and signs. While some signs look the same, the way they are done is different enough that what might be correct in one organization would be incorrect in another.

These are the organizations that I know of in the US and Canada:

American Kennel Club (live and online)
Australian Shepherd Club of America (live and online)
Canadian Kennel Club (Canada)
Canadian Association of Rally Obedience (Canada)
Canine Works and Games (live and online)
Cyber Rally-O (online)
International Canine Events Rallye Challenge
Rally Freestyle Elements (live and online)
United Kennel Club
Wag-It Games (live and online)
World Cynosport Rally, Limited (live and online)

Reactions: 94Magna_Tom

·
Premium Member
24,952 Posts
In lower New York, northern New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island the two big rally venues are AKC and to a lesser extent WCRL. I don't look much at other venues so I don't think there are lots of events in our neck of the woods. The other thing is that there are so many AKC events you don't need lots of venues to stay busy. I make enough stupid mistakes with only one set of signs that I don't do anything other than AKC rally. Tom just have fun getting started. Be aware there are diferent venues and you can pay attention to them or not depending on how big the bug for doing it bites you.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've only ever done AKC and Cyber Rally-O. The closest WCRL trials have been six or more hours away. Same for UKC and ASCA. Even most AKC trials are at least a couple of hours away these days.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts