·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophy: I'm bored.
Me: Sorry, I'm busy.
Sophy: There are treats in the oven...
Me: I know. They aren't ready yet.
Sophy, after some gentle sighing and meandering: I think I need a pee...
I get up, and open the front door.
Sophy: Oh... It's raining...
Me: There's a dry patch under the planter.
Sophy: I don't think I need to go after all.
Five minutes later
Sophy: I'm bored and I need a pee!
Get up, find leads, chivvy both dogs round to their favourite pee spot, stand in the pouring rain while they find the right spot, then paddle back to the house behind them.
Five minutes later
Sophy: I'm still bored. Are the treats ready yet?
Me: SOPHY! Settle down, I'm BUSY!!
Sophy: I can't settle down, Poppy's in my bed!
Me: Use the other one!
Sophy: Pippin's in that one...
I get up and move one of the empty beds to Sophy's favourite spot. Sophy promptly jumps into my chair, then takes one look at me and decides the bed might be safer. Everything is peaceful.
And I have completely forgotten what it was I was trying to get done...!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Ha Ha Ha ! They keep you busy, don’t they ! You’re nicer than me, I don’t go in the rain with them, I just open the door...

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I don't go with them when it is raining Sophy hoers in the dry porch and doesn't do the necessary - my fault for teaching her the corner by the garages was the "right place" when she was a puppy! And while I am happy to share my chair she wanted all of it - demonstrating how it feels when someone steals your favourite spot, I think.

This morning's conversation was about cat food - I fed Pippin in his bed, as I wanted to be sure he had eaten enough. Sophy knows she was not allowed to steal food from him, but also knows that he usually leaves some, and spent some time trying to convince me that when he did the bowl should be passed to her. All the time he was eating she stared at me, fluttering her ears and tail, and flicking her eyes briefly to his bowl then back to me. As she had just finished a generous portion of chicken, beef, pork and mixed vegetables I was mean and said No!

·
Registered
494 Posts
See now I have to change my whole mental image of your house and instead of picturing other tiny cottages around your house, maybe bordered by a stacked stone wall, I am now picturing charming garages that were converted from Victorian era stables

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL - our garages were 1960s breeze block monstrosities, built to house the Council's road sweepers and snow ploughs back when the building was used as Council offices! Much improved when we bought out the site developer and fronted them with stone and roofed them with slate. We do have a stone wall around the property, though, and painted iron railings along the front. The main building is a sort of T or tipped over E shape with the middle stroke extended - my house is in that part, so as well as my own tiny gardens front and back there are shared courtyards in the spaces between the houses. There are also five bungalows - two converted from what was the infirmary and three new builds. The developed planned a tiny cottage converted from the mortuary, which was still standing complete with stone slabs to cool bodies when I first moved in, but it was in such a dangerous state we insisted that he demolished it, and give up on such a ghoulish idea!

The photos here: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Lunesdale/ are old, but give some idea of the building.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
494 Posts
LOL - our garages were 1960s breeze block monstrosities, built to house the Council's road sweepers and snow ploughs back when the building was used as Council offices! Much improved when we bought out the site developer and fronted them with stone and roofed them with slate. We do have a stone wall around the property, though, and painted iron railings along the front. The main building is a sort of T or tipped over E shape with the middle stroke extended - my house is in that part, so as well as my own tiny gardens front and back there are shared courtyards in the spaces between the houses. There are also five bungalows - two converted from what was the infirmary and three new builds. The developed planned a tiny cottage converted from the mortuary, which was still standing complete with stone slabs to cool bodies when I first moved in, but it was in such a dangerous state we insisted that he demolished it, and give up on such a ghoulish idea!

The photos here: The Workhouse in Lunesdale, Lancashire are old, but give some idea of the building.
Wow! Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts