Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a roll with planning ahead. I just bought an air purifier a couple weeks ago and today there is a moonscape of smoke outside. I'm thankful for each lungful of clean air.

However, the rain is coming. I know it! So last night in a burst of online shopping I bought Violet a Hurrta Downpour Suit. I've noticed with my own rain gear that quality really matters. I love being active outdoors, but I don't like to follow it up with a long grooming session. Hopefully this will help. I found one for $54 in her size, which seemed like an excellent deal...maybe too good to be true. I hope I don't have to test out the return policy.

Anyone else have a Hurrta or another type of rain protection they really like?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I love Hurtta products and have admired their coats. When the dogs were younger, however, I didn't have the patience to put anything on them that had legs, so I stuck to horse style blankets. Mia has a Rambo fleece and a Weatherbeeta rain coat.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Oh gosh. The smoke is SO BAD. Where are you located? We're on the Olympic Peninsula and I went to bed unconcerned as the wind was supposed to be coming from the west. Ack! This is Peggy's first exposure to wildfire smoke and she had a very sneezy morning pee. :( Stay safe.

I like your raincoat idea. It would certainly make PNW camping in a tent more pleasant! I've only used the rug style, but would like to go a step further. Fit might be tricky, though.

Have you found an online retailer with hassle-free exchanges? The AKC shop redirected me to Amazon. This looks promising:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to go with the legs because I’m still hanging onto the idea of growing coat for a Modern trim and playing with UKC conformation- once we are free from Covid’s grip. And my tick anxieties are as strong as ever... And I love walking through a forest in the rain. Someday I’ll give an update on what my experience is with this style of coat.

I don’t have a great recommendation to give on where to buy it unless you are in Canada. Maybe Orvis? Amazon is an option. I found a new, still-in-package, right size on eBay for about half the cost so I decided to go for it. This product has a lot of adjustable areas so it can be fitted to your dog.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
957 Posts
Oh gosh. The smoke is SO BAD. Where are you located? We're on the Olympic Peninsula and I went to bed unconcerned as the wind was supposed to be coming from the west. Ack! This is Peggy's first exposure to wildfire smoke and she had a very sneezy morning pee. :( Stay safe.

I like your raincoat idea. It would certainly make PNW camping in a tent more pleasant! I've only used the rug style, but would like to go a step further. Fit might be tricky, though.

Have you found an online retailer with hassle-free exchanges? The AKC shop redirected me to Amazon. This looks promising:

Items like this one sold by Amazon itself are more likely to be hassle-free exchange or return than those by secondary sellers.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I have two hurrta coats, one for winter and one for rain but not with legs. They are extremely well made. I had looked at this coat and don’t think the legs are long enough to completely cover the pompom area.

My favorite raincoat is a plastic transparent one my daughter gave me. I think there are several companies selling it. What I love is the hood fits well over her top knot and ears so they don’t get wet. Unfortunately it doesn’t protect the tail pompom or the leg pompoms. We get a lot of compliments on this coat and many people have asked to take photos because they think she’s so cute in it. Ours has pink edging.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The information is not very complete on the Amazon site, but the leg length, neck circumference, and back length of the Downpour Suit can all be shortened/lengthened. The neck and legs can be folded back/up. The coat comes in three leg lengths: short, medium and long. I went with the long and am hoping they will cover yet-to-be-grown pom poms. Apparently the Downpour Suit is the newest version of what was their Slush Combat Suit which had 4 short legs.
Navy wears a similar size as Violet even though he has a somewhat different build, so I figure between the two of them someone is getting a fancy rain coat. I am might get the one you mentioned, Skylar, for Navy who would also like to stay dry but has fewer hair concerns. I'll wait to see how my eBay gamble plays out first.

If anyone wants to fall into a British rabbit hole, you could check this out:
Lots of diverse dogs wearing raincoats, many of them Hurrta, and a lot of great scenery around Keswick, Cumbria, and the Lake District. They really understand rain in Great Britain.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Newport, if you buy the hurrta coat, please post a review. I do want something long enough to completely cover pompoms for the winter. Everything I’ve looked at over the years was too short.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Violet’s new raincoat Arrived this afternoon, a very speedy delivery. This was purchased from an eBay seller for $54, no shipping fee. Ebay is a bit of a risk, but it worked out. The coat fits. I’m happy with the size I chose for her. Her back length is 13”, and the options were 12” or 14” (of course!! Argh) so I went with the 12”. I thought that the back length had an adjust-a-size pull bungee like the legs, waist, and collar. Perhaps I misread that or it is only in other sizes/leg lengths, I don’t know. Since the back length is NOT adjustable I am perfectly happy with the size I chose. If it had been adjustable I might be wishing I had gone with the 14” so I could play with leg length. As is, it is a good fit and she can do her business without soiling the coat. I love this high tech fabric- no swishing or crackling sounds.

As far color, it’s camouflage with pyrethrum insecticide inbedded or it’s black. Obviously I went with black. It was the only color option at this price point, and I had mixed feelings about the camo/chemical.

Violet is due for a FFT, but it’s a smokey hell outside so the dash to my grooming shed is not worth it. She is uncertain about the coat, as you can see from her expression and droopy tail, but we had a fun game of tug/fetch and she perked right up. Her movement was unrestricted.
F2834FB5-B592-4114-8B4E-CF64705376A8.jpeg 6906DE42-0B6A-4172-B1A5-ECF729299D8C.jpeg 5C31C9D1-5306-4D42-9E90-F5B99D8A4DEA.jpeg 6CCD67D2-CB3B-4B0C-A747-3ECADAC61B3F.jpeg 6569277B-6A32-4CEE-9287-F78AFA2BE939.jpeg 0D027C1E-F618-4D80-B70F-80DD3D3CCC99.jpeg 4F45D837-E69B-4498-B5CA-CE345ED25E74.jpeg 3C4EBA07-D24D-4886-8242-0DB73DB75686.jpeg 0872BF0E-D779-46C3-A7C9-E07770383ED9.jpeg
DFEC9B33-6DA8-4F70-A03F-57AA97AEAFFA.jpeg

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last photo:
F0A00653-91C4-414D-8B51-6A6EEE52369D.jpeg

As far as pom coverage goes, it is not complete, but decent. Some dog/size match ups might have more success. I would definitely choose the L leg length size for a poodle.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Thank you for all the photos so I could clearly see the fit.

These do seem to be the longest leg coverage I’ve seen in a ready made dog coat. I’m considering buying one for Babykins to wear in the snow to protect the leg pompoms. i prefer the head/ear coverage of my plastic raincoat.

This coat does seem to be as well made as my hurrta coats

Reactions: Newport

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yes, I’m thinking about adding a weatherproof snood to this for head coverage. Have any recommendations?

And please post picks of Babykins if you decide to get her one of these. I’d love to see her.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts

This is a link to a post I made with a photo of her in her raincoat.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

This is a link to a post I made with a photo of her in her raincoat.
Eeeeee!!! So cute!!

And Violet looks gorgeous in her new coat. Excellent coverage. I'm impressed.

Confused about this part, though:

As far color, it’s camouflage with pyrethrum insecticide inbedded or it’s black. Obviously I went with black. It was the only color option at this price point, and I had mixed feelings about the camo/chemical.
It's got insecticide built in??

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PtP,
Thanks, I thought it looked pretty cute on her. I’m thinking of adding a water resistant snood to help with keeping her topknot dry.

What I was trying to say above is this raincoat comes in two colors: black and camo. camo version is impregnated with insecticide.

Skylar, Babykins is very cute in the raincoat you have. I hope you’ll share photos of her in the downpour suit if you decide to get one.

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 17 of 17 Posts