Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that puppy at 13 weeks has to get rabies vaccine if shipped by plane ??? :wacko:

Is there any form of rabies vaccine that is less damaging than others ???

I will go nuts - there is now no way around it :smow:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Have you checked w/ the airlines? That seems really young to me but it could be right. Our fear mongering society would rather be so safe it's dangerous than risk the miniscule possibility of being sorry.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
No I don't think puppies are required to have a rabies vaccine until 14-16 weeks. That's when mine have had theirs. I think it also depends on the laws where you are shipping from and where you are shipping to.

There is no way around rabies unless you just break the law and don't get it done. It's one of those things that the law says you have to do in order to own a dog.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
What I find odd is that they would require rabies but yet they constantly ship mill puppies. What about parvo, coccidia, giardia, kennel cough, etc? Part of the reason I'm reluctant to ship is b/c I absolutely do not want my new "baby" (sorry Kpoos) next to some diseased mill dog that may be knocking on death's door. I know they require "health certificates", but those seem pretty easy to come by.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nooooooooooooooooo :excruciating::Cry::saint:

He would actually be around 15 weeks at the possible time of shipment.

But, if it is a law to have it at 16 weeks anyway than it is inevitable :smow: I guess... sheeeesh !!!!!

PS: I hate them shipped too ... but sometimes there is no choice : (((

·
Registered
681 Posts
You'd have to check with the individual carrier. I know a puppy from the mainland would be 10+ months old before they would be qualified to fly to Hawaii.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
I don't know all the requirements for all the airlines, but Lucy was shipped from Toronto to Winnipeg with a veterinary health certificate and "age appropriate" vaccinations (no rabies).

We also had to get her across the border from Canada into the US and I grilled the border patrol before I even commited to getting her; and they told me her shots had to be "up-to-date". When I explained that an 8 week old puppy would have only had one set of shots and no rabies shot yet, they said that was fine - no problem... as long as we had proof of that set of vaccinations she could come home with us!

I hope you can work it out!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What I find odd is that they would require rabies but yet they constantly ship mill puppies. What about parvo, coccidia, giardia, kennel cough, etc? Part of the reason I'm reluctant to ship is b/c I absolutely do not want my new "baby" (sorry Kpoos) next to some diseased mill dog that may be knocking on death's door. I know they require "health certificates", but those seem pretty easy to come by.
Don't be sorry to me.;) I call mine babies I just don't treat them like babies.;)

I think that in order for a vet to approve a health certificate the shots have to be in order. Thing is though, if they do shots themselves they can say "yeah I have given this shot and that shot" and really not done it and how is the vet going to know? His/her job is to make sure that the puppy is physically healthy when it leaves his office. That health certificate is valid for up to 10 days after the vet signs it. Most breeders require or highly suggest that you schedule a check up with your vet a day or two after the puppy gets settled into your house. I think it's within 48 hours on most contracts to make sure that the puppy is still healthy.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My suggestion is to find out what the law is in the county where the puppy is, regarding rabies, and find out the law in your county regarding rabies. Don't worry too much about rabies. I mean by 15 weeks a puppy is up to date on all shots so rabies shouldn't affect the little one much at all. Mia had no reaction to her shots (rabies was included) at all and she had hers done I think it was 17 weeks.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Wow, that seems really young.. my work requires dogs to have their rabies done before we can groom them, but we only require shots at 6 months, this is when I plan on doing mine. No earlier.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I brought Ocsi into the states when he was 3 months old with NO rabies shot, just a note from a vet saying he was healthy; i flew from Hungary, through Germany and into the US :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flew from Hungary, through Germany and into the US
WOW _ THAT is interesting : ) ! Did you buy puppy from the USA and went to bring him/her here : ) ??? !!!! Was he in cargo all the time or in the cabin ?:)

What Airline you used , if I may ask : ))) ?

I always wondered how dogs get imported into the USA !? I was joking with one of our members that I might as well go to Europe and bring one back after the vacation LOL

Can you please share your story : )) !!! You can send me a PM , if it is more convenient for you :), but I think it is very interesting story for all of us to hear :listen: : ))) !!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi wishpoo!

Ocsi is a poodle from Hungary. He was born and breed there. I bought him from a lady at the market who was selling 3 adorable little black poodle puppies. He cost me around USD$100 (my cousin and I negotiated with her a little, I was in college at the time so I got a small discount ;) however, the economy in general has been tough for the past like 10 years!! so she was happy that after my THIRD visit to her and her puppies in a week's time that I bought one).

Many vacationers from Germany visit Lake Balaton (probably why there are a ton of puppies for sale there every market) and so the breeders bring with them a 'passport' for their dogs. Ocsi has a 'passport' that shows who breed him, his shots & booster shots and some basic bio data (birthday, breed etc).

My aunt of course thought I was crazy b/c I bought him without doing my hw first. But after researching the United States Agriculture website we found out that (mind you this was almost 7 years ago) that dogs needed to have a letter signed by a vet that the dog was in good health (since I was flying through Germany mine had to be in English, German & Hungarian) and they needed to have a rabies shot.
^^this information should still be on their website if you look it up

However, the vet recommended that puppies NOT get their rabies shot so close to the flight date (his recommendation was 30 days+ prior to flying). So he did not recommend giving Ocsi a rabies shot. There is a clause (or was?) saying that your dog coming into the US did NOT have to have a rabies shot IF you quarantined him for 10 days after arrival. The good news is that the quarantine can be within your own home- it does NOT have to be in a government facility. They stated that your dog must NOT interact with any other animals during the 10 days, but can afterwards.

We flew Lufthansa, Ocsi's ticket was $75.

So.... when we arrived in the states (after 12 hours of straight travel, gosh was that rough on both of us! the vet gave me sleeping pills for Ocsi so he was knocked out- but when he finally did wake up at the airport in Atlanta he felt like sh!t. He had diarrhea and threw up :( so never again will I drug him- and I haven't over the past 4 or 5 times he's flown with me he's been an angel).

-Btw, Ocsi flew in a hard sided carrying case in the cabin with me- I could never put a dog in cargo, my heart would just break from worry about all the tragic stories I've heard.

So going through customs we weren't hassled at all- the only request they had was for me to give up the small bag of kibble I brought with me from Hungary. That's it!!
Ocsi and I were so happy to have the trip over and done with and I have been so happy to have him in my life for the past 6 years. :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Redvelvet - thanks : ) ! I did some reading yesterday and it seems that puppies (dogs) older than 16 weeks have to have Rabies shots to travel in cargo :smow:

Sparkle - What a story :) !!!!!! Oh my, I just knew it must have been an adventure : ))) !!!! Thanks so much for sharing it - I could almost see all that was going on : )))) !!!!! Lake Balaton you say , he he - OK - mental memo to myself ; ) LOL !!!

You brought the most beautiful "souvenir" one could imagine : ) - how lucky are you :clover: !!!????

It is such a wonderful story with such a great happy ending : ))) - thanks again for finding time to share it : ))) !!! May you have many, many more fantastic years with your sweet Ocsi !!!: )))

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is it true that puppy at 13 weeks has to get rabies vaccine if shipped by plane ??? :wacko:

Is there any form of rabies vaccine that is less damaging than others ???

I will go nuts - there is now no way around it :smow:
Most require it to ship by 16 weeks(4Months),but some airlines might say younger,you would have to check,but most State Laws start now at 16 weeks.It used to be by 6 months and was changed to 4.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Requirments per United States Dept. of Agriculture

^^
Airline have various animal transport rules. If traveling by air, please check with the airline well in advance of travel. A few airline Transport website's are listed below: (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/pet_travel/pet_travel_basics.shtml)

* American: http://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml
* Continental: http://www.continental.com/travel/policies/animals/default.asp
* Delta: http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp
* Delta Skywest: http://www.skywest.com/pets.php
* Northwest: http://www.nwa.com/services/shipping/cargo/products/ppet.shtml
* United: http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1048,00.html
* Alaska: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/cargo/Transporting-Live-Animals.asp

This is a VERY helpful list of vets that can give you the exact information you need: STATE ANIMAL HEALTH OFFICIALS
http://www.usaha.org/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Or...
To locate Import regulations for a particular state, please select the appropriate State from the following list: (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/animal_import/animal_imports_states.shtml)

For Example, the state of Georgia:
*** DOGS, CATS AND PETS ***

All pets entering Georgia must comply with the applicable health requirements of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Georgia Department of Agriculture, the Georgia Department of Human Resources and/or the Georgia Department of Natural Resources

All dogs and cats twelve (12) weeks of age or older entering Georgia must have proof of a current and approved rabies vaccination in accordance with the most recent Compendium of Animal Rabies Control published by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc. Georgia does recognize the 1 year and 3 year rabies vaccination as long as the vaccination is current for the time period.

All pets, except fish and rodents, entering Georgia for sale, trade, or exchange for a fee or other type of compensation must be accompanied by a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued within the previous thirty (30) days and which records proof of the health requirements for each species. Companion animals traveling by commercial carrier require a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection issued within 10 (ten) days of shipment showing proof of the required vaccinations.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Vinnie flew (May 2009) from Oregon to Illinois (I drove to Chicago from Iowa to pick him up so he had a direct flight). Karin sent him at 11 1/2 weeks so that he would not have to have a rabies vaccine - the airlines require the rabies vaccine at 12 weeks. She does not like her puppies vaccinated for rabies until six months. Our clinic vaccinates puppies for rabies at 16 weeks, but per my contract with Karin, I did wait until six months for Vinnie.

Oh yeah... Vinnie flew United.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everybody so much for all guidelines and information !!!

It seems that the best time to ship a puppy is from 9-11 weeks , considering all rules and regulations *sigh...

Since the pup I am looking into will be 16 weeks old - it definitey puts him in rabies OBLIGATORY category : (. I checked most major air-lines - no way around it ...

Not only that - many dog/health sites advised not vaccinating for rabies and shipping very soon after :((, since shipment is extra stress for a puppy anyway.

All in all.... will be very tough decision ... oh well... :smash:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts