Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I nuts? I seem to remember that when I chose the vet for my minipoo I asked about the rabies vaccine and was told that they give a 3 year one. So, I waited, separated the rabies vaccination from the other puppy shots and he gets the shot. THEN I am told he needs a "booster" at one year and that the rabies vaccination he just got is a 1 year and when he gets the "booster" it will then be the 3 year one.
Dr. Jean Dobbs, in something I read from her about her protocol, said the the rabies vaccine for one year and three years are basically the same thing, just marketed with different labels.
Please weigh in on this. I don't like shooting him up with more than I have to for his overall health and protection.
If he has had one rabies vaccination, isn't he basically immune or protected for at least 7 years if not life??

·
Registered
50 Posts
From my understanding the very first rabies shot is a 1 year... the booster I guess and then after that it's the 3 year.

Though some speculate that the shot is good for 3 to 5 years. But where I live you cant live on speculation. We have a massive coon and coyote problem

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
AS puppies all my dogs get the one year vaccine. After that they can have the three year, I'm not sure it is the same strength or how much protection they hold. I do know rabies is terrible and I would not want my dog to get it. WE have raccoons, armadillos, opossums, pass regularly thru our yard along with occasionally deer and coyotes , and who knows what else . The laws on rabies vary from state to state but it is mandatory.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes same here, milo had his rabies shot and it’s for 1 year. He goes back after 1 year for the 3 year shot. We have had rabies in foxes here. So since we always walk him in the ‘woods’, he gets the rabies shot per schedule.

I believe I could titer after 1 year, but the services is not offered at my vet since it’s a super basic, small town vet.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Rabies vaccinations are normally given at 3 months (some people stretch that to 4 or 5 months, but 3 months is the law in PA). Then 1 year after that, then every 3 years. Here is the law in PA. I think other states have similar laws. Rabies vaccinations are required to protect the public, not so much for the benefit of the dog.

§ 16.43. Revaccination.
A dog or cat over 3 months of age shall be vaccinated to maintain immunity against rabies by the administration of a USDA licensed vaccine, including vaccines producing immunity lasting 3 years, in accordance with instructions prescribed by the manufacturer.

(1) A dog or cat vaccinated when under 1 year of age shall be revaccinated no later than 1 year later.

(2) A dog or cat vaccinated when over 1 year of age with a vaccine producing immunity lasting 3 years shall be revaccinated no later than 3 years later and at least every 3 years thereafter.

(3) A dog or cat vaccinated with a vaccine producing immunity lasting less than 3 years shall be revaccinated no later than 1 year later.

For more info about the law in PA, see https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/007/chapter16/subchapCtoc.html

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Char the immunization is basically the same when a "puppy" dose is given as is given later in life. However state laws generally speak to a puppy dose and a 3 year dose given at one year. Interestingly I see that Minnesota does not have a statewide rabies law for dogs, but that instead that responsibility has been shifted to local governments and is apparently linked to licensing.

Reactions: Charleeann67:)

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Char, it does seem like a lot. My dogs got their rabies shot as puppies and then at one year, they got the 3 year vaccine (which, as mentioned is the same vaccine as the 1 year booster). I will repeat every 3 years since it's the CA law. Their vets wanted me to give them a one year booster for parvo/distemper after their initial puppy series, followed by a 3 year schedule, but I have them titered instead for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts