Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I could ever remeber to ask my vet I would or when I'm not sleep seems I work nights but when is it wise to take my penny out after she gets her rabies shot? Is there a time I should still keep her inside or can I take her for her first walk in the same day?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I heard many times that it takes up to 2 weeks for them to build up immunity. Depending on where you live and where you're going to go walking, the chances of her getting rabies is pretty slim. It's pretty rare in dog, mostly contracted from wildlife and she would have to be bitten to be exposed. Things like Parvo are much more common and easily spread.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I heard many times that it takes up to 2 weeks for them to build up immunity. Depending on where you live and where you're going to go walking, the chances of her getting rabies is pretty slim. It's pretty rare in dog, mostly contracted from wildlife and she would have to be bitten to be exposed. Things like Parvo are much more common and easily spread.
Tell that to Old Yeller :quiet:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Todd - you are too funny! :biggrin:

I would not be too concerned about going out. As long as your pup feels up to it (some puppies are a little slow/tired after vaccinations) do whatever you want. The chances of your puppy getting rabies (uh... as long as his name is not Old Yeller!) is very slim.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought. I just don't want to take any chances with my penny. She's my sweetheart. And plus she needs to get a hair cut well a trim till she's a little bigger and I just want to make sure in my head it will be ok and especially at the rest stops on our move. A day after she gets her rabies shot.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I have never known a dog who contracted rabies. She would have to be bitten by an animal who has rabies to be exposed. I've never heard of a pet dog that had gotten it and then bit another dog. It is wild animals and feral dogs and cats that usually have it. I would think that the chances of that happening are slim to none.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Cute Todd, My Hubby even got a good chuckle about your Old Yeller comment. Old Yeller is my very favorite old movie, and I too, like Mercymoon still cry when I watch it, even though I've seen it many many times and know ahead of time what is going to happen. Now where Todd lives I think rabies shots are very important, but I agree with everyone else on here and would be more concerned about parvo, distemper and etc. if you live in town. That would be your Dhlpp injection, which will require a yearly booster.

Don't get me wrong, ours do also get their rabies shots, which are good for 3 yrs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts