Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like any of the vets in my county because they do one year rabies vaccines. I want to go to an office in the next county over for Midnight's rabies vaccine next month. They give three year vaccines. Can I get a rabies certificate out of county?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I thought it was a state regulation, not county?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tennessee is a weird state. The state law calls for three year revaccination. However, there is a loophole that allows individual vets, counties, etc to do one year vaccines if they so choose.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Rabies

you are wise not to innoculate rabies annually. Keep searching until you find a vet who will listen and work with you.

here's a great article that ran recently in San Francisco. You may find it helpful to share with your unelightened Vet.

Shots in the dark

Not a single vet college in the US recommends the annual vaccine. My vet is very supportive and in fact we will do his full 1 year series in 2 separate visits, no extra charge.

This hit home this morning. My neighbor has a Cav King Charles spaniel pup who had his four month series last night. She said he was awake all night whimpering with swelling in his leg where the vaccines came. I don't want poor Fozzie to endure that.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Tennessee is a weird state. The state law calls for three year revaccination. However, there is a loophole that allows individual vets, counties, etc to do one year vaccines if they so choose.
Bummer - I would go to another county. I am stuck we are still annual. But when I got Suri she was from NC where she got the 3 year and my vet told me that the state honors that as long as its current. So my guess is it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can't imagine why a vet would insist on a one year vaccine when a three year one is available, other than the fact that it brings in more revenue!
I finally got my vet to agree to do titres (parvo and distemper) for me by going to another vet. That caught her attention and she looked in to doing the titres for me and now is very good about listening to my wishes. I wonder if your vet would prefer to keep your business, or doesn't care if you move on to another county. Personally, I'd look for a vet who listened to your concerns and did the best for your dog, not for their pocketbook!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would think you could get the vaccination where ever you would like. You just need to get a generic rabies certificate and take it to the animal control in your county to get that county tag. We have people do that for the counties we dont carry tags for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not going to bother arguing with my current vet. I am going to find a new one who will respect my views. If I have to drive 100 miles to find a good vet, then I will.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I highly recommend everyone check out and support Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund - these folks are very knowledgeable and tireless in their efforts to get the law in keeping with scientific findings. They have been instrumental in getting laws changed in state after state to be in keeping with current scientific information, while doing ongoing research about how long rabies vacs actually last. I know firsthand folks whose dogs have acquired lifelong auto-immune issues, and by liflelong I also mean life threatening, from Rabies vacs. One also needs to consider whether your dogs life is worth living by the letter of the law. Just a thought. It is a difficult situation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My vet was adamant that my girls needed their rabies shot, I was adamant that I wanted to titre first, he thought I was crazy for spending the money but, when the results came in HE was adamant that my girls didn't need their rabies shot this year. Buffy's antibody level was super high, what's the acceptable again? 0.1 IU/mL right? Buffy's was 11.0 IU/mL.

Titre first.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Evidence supports that rabies vac. lasts for 7 years - lifetime! The 3 year vaccine was the compromise of the drug companies, vets and animal activists. The activists are still pushing for the law to extend the time longer than 3 years! Some states are slow to get with the program, that's for sure! Certainly the best measure for your pet's health is a yearly titer!
I know of many dogs that have developed auto-immune issues, liver damage and other physiological problems after receiving a rabies shot simply because the owner thought their beloved pet HAD to have it yearly. I'm sick at knowing what I put my own pets through BEFORE I became educated on vaccine protocol. Dr. Jean Dodd , along with Dr. Shultz and others, has really been an advocate of this vaccine investigation. I, personally, will follow her limited vaccine recommendations for Ruby's needs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hi SP. I've just been online the last hour trying to actually get the Tennessee law (TCA 68-8-101). It's a vicious cycle. So, although Tennessee only requires rabies vaccinations every 3 years, it allows cities and counties to make their own laws as long as the minimum statewide requirement is met.:nono:

Here is what UT website says about the vaccine (bold type is mine):
The Rabies vaccine is given initially between 12-16 weeks of age. A booster is given 1 year later and then every 3 years thereafter or as stated by local law. Local law influences frequency of vaccination regardless of the product labels. Currently Tennessee recognizes a 3 year Rabies vaccination protocol. Community Practice

I live in Memphis/Shelby County, and my vet offers both the 1-year and 3-year vaccine. The 3-year vaccine costs only $10-12 more. Since none of the vets in your county offer the 3-yr. variety, I would call neighboring county vets and ask about whether their rabies vaccine license would be accepted in other Tennessee counties. Think it's amazing that only 3-year is required statewide but that local governments can increase the requirement.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts