Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie is turning 6 months on August 13th and we are scheduled to go on vacation to a very busy town a month later. I was waiting for his rabies shot - to be administered after 6 months and I honesty had been dragging my feet on the micro chip. All my dogs prior came to us already chipped so it is something I honestly didn't even remember to do - until about a month ago. Can any of you think of any earthly reason why these things should not be done on the same day? Is two weeks before the trip enough of a healing time that he should be fully recovered and able to enjoy the trip?

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Nope I think that is not an issue to give a second thought to. And get that rabies done. You are in violation of New York State law to have waited past four months and I am surprised your vet let you delay it. I do understand people's concerns about the rabies immunization's potential adverse reactions, but I also don't think any of us wants to return to a time when we have to worry about rabid dogs wandering the streets.

There is no healing time from having a microchip implanted. Lily got her chip when she was spayed, but since both of our male dogs are intact they had them implanted as an office visit procedure. Basically it is just an injection with a larger than usual needle. Peeves got his when he was about a year old and Javelin got his on his first office visit as a puppy.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but rabies control to prevent human deaths is an important public health initiative. I do understand people's concerns about the rabies immunization's potential adverse reactions, but I also don't think any of us wants to return to a time when we have to worry about rabid dogs wandering the streets. Globally plenty of people still die from rabies every year and it is something we can drastically reduce the risk of. https://rabiesalliance.org/

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty much what I figured! Appointment booked for both things. @Catherine was not aware that we were two months passed legally. The vet did raise the need for the vaccine but when I said I wanted to give it well spaced out from all his other shots we agreed to this timeline.

·
Premium Member
22,890 Posts
Tisk tisk on your vet. I am glad they were willing to make a timeline to space out the immunizations, but they should have known better than to push the rabies so far back.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Buck was also microchipped on his second vet visit. He hardly noticed it and as Lily CD said no recovery time is needed whatsoever, either from the rabies shot or the chip.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
Moni, all rabies vaccinations are not created equal. Please read this article, Rabies Vaccination: 13 Ways to Vaccinate More Safely. Pay special attention to #7:

"Tell your vet you want a Thimerosol-free vaccine. Thimerosol (mercury) in vaccines has been linked to adverse reactions. Merial makes one- and three-year thimersol-free rabies vaccines: IMRAB® 1 TF and IMRAB® 3 TF. Make sure you see “TF” on the label. If your vet doesn’t carry the vaccine, you may have to vet shop to find the vaccine you want..."

My own vet doesn't carry it, so I called the manufacturer, Merial to see which vets do. Go to their page here, scroll to the bottom, click on Find A Vet, then enter your city. A map will pop up of all the vets that contract with them and carry Heartgard Plus. Most if not all of them will also carry the killed rabies Thimersol/Mercury Free rabies vaccine.

We do have members here who have had adverse reactions happen to their poodles from the more commonly used rabies vacs. There are real and tragic stories on the internet too, but keep in mind that legally websites cannot advocate breaking the law, rabies included, even if a dog had initial adverse reactions b/c of public safety concerns.

Because of this, I went with the TF-1 (Thimersol-Free 1st year) shot. It may cost more to get an unneeded exam with another vet, but can give a peace of mind that it's presumably not as risky.

You also aren't the only one who waited (in your case, by accident) until your poodle was beyond 4 months; see Twyla's post here and the other comments on that thread. She also made an excellent point of getting a Benadryl shot with it which her breeder advised, which I also agree with.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Louie is turning 6 months on August 13th I was waiting for his rabies shot - to be administered after 6 months and I honesty had been dragging my feet on the micro chip. Can any of you think of any earthly reason why these things should not be done on the same day?

Hi
FYI, I see that your poodle is cream? It has been my experience that the lighter colored dogs can be a tad more sensitive to the microchip implantation. If you are comfortable, step out of the room and let the vet tech hold him. Or look away, the needle can be a little worrisome.
I volunteer at our little shelter's 2x a year rabies/microchip clinic. All dogs have differing reactions, and it is a temporary. (at the clinics we ask that all young children step out of the room.)
Glad you're thinking ahead, microchips WORK and have reunited many animals.
Good Luck

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Vita! A lot of really good information!

@Poodlefoster: Thanks for the heads up - Louie is both a little poodle macho and a drama queen. He is not super sensitive pain wise (according to his non-reaction to all his shots) but can get a little operatic if he feels things are not going his way ;-) I had one micro chip inserted in my Pointer who promptly bled like a pig all over my car after wards....he also didn't have any pain but it looked quite gruesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts