Poodle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
In the old place Evelyn used to go into the kitchen when he thought I wasn't looking. He would just look around and then come back out. In the new place he mostly stays on his bed, sometimes he goes and stands near the front door in hopes that it will open. When Ranna was still being penned he would play with him over the walls of the pen. Now they share the office dog bed, I hear them wrestle occasionally. At my friend's house he usually either goes to find a "bed" or tries to befriend the cats who do not appreciate his overtures. Ranna is penned with his brother as they still want to chase cats and aren't yet reliably housebroken. (They're pretty good at their respective homes, but less so when visiting.)

·
Administrator
12,843 Posts
When no one’s looking, Peggy will generally retreat to the coziest bed, either in the master bedroom or the guest bedroom. Sometimes my husband and I will go to the bathroom at the same time (separate bathrooms lol) and, afterwards, we always find her on one of the beds.

Whenever Peggy’s breeder took a shower, Peggy’s dam would round up the other dogs and they’d all pile into the kitchen to counter-surf.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bennie doesn't let ME out of sight 😂 I'm sure that will lessen with time. As of right now, she's not allowed on the second floor (except when I give her a bath). So if she hears me disappear up there (creeeeeaky old house)- even when she is crated- I receive a mournful lecture.

She has discovered her size now affords her a view of the counter when she reaches upward. So I reckon eventually we'll have someone willing to take a counter-surf when no one is looking. Thank goodness she has a mat in the kitchen and lots and lots of yummy things appear on it when she is there chilling out. And thank goodness we started that particular routine right from the get-go!

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,831 Posts
Elroy doesn't do anything noteworthy. If I'm home and I leave the room, he either follows me, or continues sleeping where he is. If I'm out, he'll either sleep by the front door, sleep on the couch (by the front door), or sleep on his crate (with a view out the front window). No shenanigans!

·
Super Moderator
4,361 Posts
Galen tiptoes into the kitchen, puts his front feet onto the counter, and tries to quietly abscond with anything he thinks might be interesting and/or tasty.
Ritter removes cardboard from the recycling bin and carries it off for a nice relaxing shredding session on the living room rug.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Bennie doesn't let ME out of sight 😂 I'm sure that will lessen with time. As of right now, she's not allowed on the second floor (except when I give her a bath). So if she hears me disappear up there (creeeeeaky old house)- even when she is crated- I receive a mournful lecture.

She has discovered her size now affords her a view of the counter when she reaches upward. So I reckon eventually we'll have someone willing to take a counter-surf when no one is looking. Thank goodness she has a mat in the kitchen and lots and lots of yummy things appear on it when she is there chilling out. And thank goodness we started that particular routine right from the get-go!
Friggin hell... you guys, I swear no sooner had I typed and sent that, but Bennie successfully grabbed her first cracker off of the edge of the table 😩 Training is generally going so well with her, save for jumping up and now this. Both being so self rewarding. Time to get a few more steps ahead of her 😜 She sure trains MY brain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Galen tiptoes into the kitchen, puts his front feet onto the counter, and tries to quietly abscond with anything he thinks might be interesting and/or tasty.
Ritter removes cardboard from the recycling bin and carries it off for a nice relaxing shredding session on the living room rug.
My boy Remy is more dumpster diver than counter surfer. He loves taking things out of garbage cans in the bathroom or finding paper or plastic bags he can rip up and he’s always so happy and proud of himself for having done this. I’ve learned to keep the bathroom doors closed. I wonder if he’ll grow out of this? He’s the only dog I’ve had that did it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I wonder if he’ll grow out of this?
I'm betting no. My first puppy was a Giant Schnauzer, and she loved tearing up paper. Her whole life I had to keep all trash cans behind closed doors or she would pull out everything made of paper and shred it (and spread all the other contents around the room!). She opened everybody's presents at christmas and birthdays, and taught the next puppy to do that as well, although he was not as addicted to it as she was and would never have dreamed of going through the trash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haha my labrador loves to shred paper, so does Rusty!!!
At least it’s something I can live with. He could have a lot of worse habits. Does anyone know about OCD in dogs? In the last month he has started chasing light reflections, chasing his tail, and just recently snapping at invisible objects in the air. We try to distract him and keep him very busy. Never had to deal with this before with any other dogs. It is worrisome as I’m afraid it could get worse.

·
Administrator
12,843 Posts
At least it’s something I can live with. He could have a lot of worse habits. Does anyone know about OCD in dogs? In the last month he has started chasing light reflections, chasing his tail, and just recently snapping at invisible objects in the air. We try to distract him and keep him very busy. Never had to deal with this before with any other dogs. It is worrisome as I’m afraid it could get worse.
This is a good question for its own thread. :) I’m sure our members will have some insight for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first mini-poo loved to be outside after dark and follow the light of a flashlight on the grass in the yard. It got to be his favorite play time activity and I had to stop using the flashlight. One problem was that he learned that he could never catch the light - and was frustrated. Another problem was that I couldn't use a flashlight -- ever -- because he thought it was "play-time". (No walks after dark, no shining the flashlight to see what animal was on the back porch (bear, dog, squirrel, rabbit, or wild pig (in Arizona).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts