Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What sort of questions would you ask a groomer before you even schedule an appointment with them?

I know the easy ones
"Do you groom Standard Poodles?"
and
"How much do you charge for a standard poodle groom?"

but I wasn't sure if I should ask more questions like experience...I'd love everyone's advice ^_^

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What services you are getting for your money? How do they do nail care? How do they handle puppies that are a bit hard to handle (not saying yours is).

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never thought about nails xD

and I don't know how Elphie is to groom...I know when I bath her at home she stands still for ME but if my mom tries to bath her...shes out of the tub 4 or 5 times during the whole process =|

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
also sorta depends on what sorta trim you're wanting too. If you want the legs scissored or something, ask about that too (most groomers should be able to scissor legs & topknot, but the odd one doesn't!) and if you're able to go and visit them rather than on the phone, ask to see some photos of their poodle grooming.

Definitely ask what you're getting for your money (full bath, dry, clip, scissor, nails, & ears at least.) Will they check the anal glands too? [I don't, unless requested] Or clean the teeth? [again, I don't]

Also ask how long until their next appointment now, as coming up to christmas I know we get super busy over here, and I'm essentially full for the year (certainly couldn't fit in a spoo for a full groom anyway!)

Also check if they have an extra dematting fee, not that she's knotted now, but in the future when she's dropping her puppy coat she could be, and you need to be prepared for it to cost extra!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much, I'm going to be calling some places later today D:

and Elphie is matting like crazy...so I'll give her a bath and brush her out before taking her to get groomed
I know they're supposed to go threw the coat change between 8 to 16 months, can it start earlier?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ask if they use a heated cage dryer. You want to avoid that practice if possible. Or, if they use one, where is the cage dryer located...in plain sight or is it in a seperate room. There have been many dog deaths from overheating in cage dryers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would go one step further than asking if they have heated cage dryers, I would ask to see the facility, unless there is something to hide they sould be more than happy to show you.

I worked with a girl who was a crappy groomer, but an excellent butt kisser. She had this lady come in and ask her to please only fluff dry her dog, because the dog had breathing problems and cage dryers agravated it. The girl was all kissy face with the dog, and assured the lady that she would hand dry her. but as soon as the dog was washed she was put in a cage to dry!!!
Thankfully it was the owner being over protective and that dog didnt really have a breathing problem... but what if it had.

I would also ask if there are different rates as your dog grows. some places charge a lower "puppy price" that grows with the dog. I personally will not do this, because puppies are usually more trouble than adult dogs, but some places do.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yup, and poodles really shouldnt' be cage dried anyway, or they'll dry curly and it won't be an even cut! They NEED to be fluffed out.

But in saying that, I have a cage dryer at work, and I use it on a lot of dogs. Yes, it can be dangerous, but so can scissors and clippers etc if ya don't know how to use them properly... My cage dryer isn't heated, and is in my work space, and is used on an open wire cage (not enclosed).

·
Registered
562 Posts
If i ever got tired of grooming Mister or for some reason couldnt do it anymore i would be the PICKIEST grooming client in the world!
I would want my dog done in under 3 hours, no cage drying and no cage at all, and basicly straight threw. I would also probably be paying $100+ lol.
Good luck on your search. My advise is to check out the place in person before making an appointment and leaving your dog there. A lot of places look good but as super shady and down right mean to your dog. Make sure you get a good vibe from the place and ALWAYS go with your gut feeling!
If its a respectable place and a good groomer they wont mind all the questions especially coming from a Standard owner. We are a different kind of people and have high expectations IMO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'd say regardless of where you go, get a good FEEL for the person who's going to be grooming your dog. =]

Some people definitely kiss-butt, but you should be able to tell who's being overly nice and who's being professional with you.

I'm very honest with my clients, and I like to keep a good relationship with them...this means we remember each other's names, sometimes get off topic on things that have nothing to do with grooming!- but still, it's nice ^.^

And that personal relationship should carry over to your pets as well. When a client takes time to talk to me about whatever it is that's on their mind (questions, comments, how they want their pup's haircut) it always shows me how much they care. And makes the groom a little more personal for me. Unlike some people who just drop their dog and I never see them...=/ doesn't mean I don't treat their dog like the others, but it makes it a little less personal.

So go ahead, ask questions! Be friendly! If they are friendly, PFFT, leave! lol

oh oh! and I disagree with Spoo owners being "different" and having "high expectations" lol...all the spoo owners I've known have been awesome! It's the Wheaton Terrier owners who get me all the time with their expectations....LOL

No offense to anyone with a Wheaton! ^.^;;

·
Registered
6 Posts
That was a good one! I haven't had a good laugh like that about the turtle in a very long Time! Thanks..you made my day.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we actually found a really great groomer :D

I called around and one groomer actually told me she doesn't do ears or express anal glands...and I always thought that needed to be done on a poodle...correct me if I'm wrong though

The woman we're taking Elphie and Scooter to next week does "everything" she said, from nails, ears, anal glands,
and then she's going to anything else she feels needs done ((I dunno what that means but she was VERY polite and answered all my questions...and there was like 15questions))
so I feel pretty comfortable taking Elphie to her ^_^

·
Registered
23 Posts
Me too.

Me: Your dogs legs are extremely matted, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to shave them, it's not possible to brush this out.
Them: Well.. I still want him fluffy, can you keep the hair on his body long.
Me: If you want him to look like a turtle.
LOL now that's what i'm talking about!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I didnt mean Spoo overs are different or have high expectations in a bad way. Maybe i just relate to them lol. Im super nerotic when it comes to Mister.
Keithsomething: The glands and ears (plucking and cleaning) do need to be done every time your dog is groomed. I have noticed that larger dogs express their own glands but Mister (he is 50 lbs) does not so i have to do it at least once a month if not more. And his ears get dirty really fast and grow lots of ear hair so i do them about every month too.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
ugh, anal glands should NOT need done at every grooming! It's been proven that regularly doing anal glands though, will cause them to need to be done regularly. And there ARE some dogs that DO actually need them done regularly anyway, but most dogs are actually fine without them being done all the time, and starting to do them often just ends up making it a problem....

Personally I'll generally not go near them. If it's requested, I'll check them, and some dogs I'll check cos they have *that* smell to them, but on those that I do check (in the bath ONLY!) I will not push the issue. I'm not gonna do them internally, if you want that, go to your vet. Can I just say - EWW! it's bad enough doing them externally when they squirt out. ugh.

Basically I do very few dogs anal glads, and out of the hundreds of clients I have, only a few actually need it.

ear plucking should usually be done on most poodles, but be aware that some do better with their ears left too.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I knew there were alot of dogs who don't need them expressed :|
I just remember reading about some poodles who need it done like every 6mo or so

this local groomer said she DOESN'T do ears or anal glands...and the way she said it was almost like she was trying to make me feel dumb for asking about it xD

How do you tell if a dog doesn't need to have it done?
((it is pretty nasty though...I watch a video on how to do it online v.v;; ))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts