Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! So I plan on attending my very first show this Saturday! On the sidelines of course as I am brand spanking new to all of this. I was wondering if you all could answer some of my questions please.
So I’m wanting to get into the world of showing. I’ve researched breeders I may want to get my show prospect from and have contacted them. They won’t be willing to sell to me as I’m so new which is understandable. My question is what do you recommend my first steps be? What would make me look serious because I am.

When I go to the show on Saturday I plan on bringing my pen and notebook to take down notes and what the breeders and handlers tell me. I plan on asking them if they could mentor me and a couple of other general questions like how long have they been doing this and what not. What other questions should I ask?

I also plan on becoming a member of my local club and found an awesome training establishment that will train me on becoming a handler and train my dog on agility and obedience.

I’m so beyond excited!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi,

I'm neither a handler or show breeder and would be a novice myself if I were to try what you're aspiring to so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

When you say showing do you mean conformation like most of us only see on tv, like the Westminster show, or will you be focusing on the performance side, like agility and obedience?

Whichever, or with all, I hope you find a wonderful companion to share those dreams with you.

If you haven't already seen this, it seems to be a good intro guide.

My understanding is that AKC is a very formal arena to compete in. I hear UKC is a more relaxed environment and might be more fun for some first time experiences.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I tried the same approach went to shows, to ask questions it can be difficult as they are often prepping their dogs for the ring, I approached those sitting down waiting only.
I asked a few people then same questions and got similar answers. How did you get into showing? The main one.
One lady told me she nagged a breeder which I did seem to like the sound of another said it will be very hard show breeders don’t sell their show prospects they keep them.

I was a bit disappointed about it but I decided to find the best possible puppy I can. I kept waiting and looking. I signed up to champdog litter waiting list, this site only advertising health tested dogs and they are often from show stock. After a YEAR I got an email, a litter popped up which ticked all my boxes. I rang up straight away. I was spoke on the phone for a long time to the breeder and went to visit, it was far but I didn’t care.

I was also advised recently by a show judge that when getting into showing get the best you can, learn to show yourself, go to poodle shows, you may find your next show prospect later when you get to know the breeders and show your serious.

similar advice I heard from a show groomer, have a poodle you start with and learn to master your grooming on ready from your show dog.

Basically get the best dog you can, focus on the health more than the pedigree. And make a start. Perfect your grooming, if your new to grooming that could be daughting. I’m a dog groomer but not a show groomer so I’ve got things to learn myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts