Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not seriously considering breeding myself. Far to novice, far to busy, for to not interested. But still, I have some curoius nosey questions.

I love the parti colouring in a poodle. I also love the miniature poodle. I'm under the understanding from people on here that the belief is that you should only breed champion stock. According to the kennel clubs, parti is not an official poodle colour. Nobody breeds them in NZ as far as I am aware either. So while it would be possible to import a stud & bitch, how could they be champions?

Obviously you can still take them out and about, to K9 Good Citizen classes, agility etc and grow their profile, but heck, if one was to spend the money importing them in the first place, it could take years for either of them to acheive champion status in any of these events.

And then, how resposible is it really to take a dog that hasn't been spayed or nutered to an event like this? And my dogs would always be treated as my pets, how do I prevent them from mating the heats in which it would not be healthy to have another litter?

I guess dog breeding is something that is starting to interest me, but you'd have to be so damn fussy about it to make it viable, and hummane. If you aren't going to really add to the dog world in your own country than why bother? You would have to know that your dogs really do meet a gap in the market that no other breeders or rescues could.

ANd how can a parti have papers? It can't can it? So therefore you would be considered a bad breeder?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I was gonna say Anne has partis here, but they're standards not minis (there's a litter of her pups on trademe at the mo Flake: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Dogs/Dogs/auction-281407078.htm) She imported champions from USA (they are allowed to be shown in UKC in america and can get a champion that way!) there is no outlet to show them in confirmation shows here though. Of course, to import a dog from america or any country that has rabies they have to be at least 9 months old anyway, so generally anything being imported from america is kept and shown there seeing they have to stay for so long anyway!!! Also note there are parti breeders in Australia which would be a more viable option to import from (check out http://parti-standardpoodles.com/)

There are also plenty of toy partis around, but I am not sure if they're from parti lines, or from cross bred lines gone back to the poodles!! You can never be sure with the back-yard bred lil guys sometimes; a 'pure bred' toy can look like a cross of some sort after a couple of generations of crappy breeding!!

As for having an entire dog at a show; every other dog at a breed show is entire!!! A large majority of the ones at agility and obedience shows are too (though of course it's not a requirement ether way so there's a lot desexed as well) so no, it's not an issue at all unless your dog is a problem!!! To keep them apart when you don't want a breeding your'e best to send one or the other away (usually the dog; you're better to not trust anyone with your girl in heat!) either to a kennel or to a friend or something. Either that or you have to be *seriously* dedicated to keeping them entirely separate in your house (crates and baby gates and the whole household dedicated to it... which isn't possible with young kids!)

Partis can be registered with papers if their parents are. Assuming you'd be importing then you'd be importing AKC registered dogs, which can be transferred to NZKC (for a fee of course) and yes their offspring can be registered with NZKC too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts