Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I was told that the higher priced shampoo's, conditioner's etc are over rated and I can get the same results from shampoo at Walmart. I personally haven't seen any shampoo's that caught my eye at Walmart or do I really look. So what is everyone else's opinion about that?

I had my mind settled and ready to buy the Chris Christensen products then I was told that. Of course I'd rather save $$ if possible and not get the CC products if they are over rated.

Also, Im attempting to prep Sting's puppy coat for show and I would like to have a mist spray product with spf to mist his coat every few days before I brush. Sting is black (for the new member's) and the sun will start to give him red tones soon. Any suggestions there? Has anyone made there own mixture?

·
Registered
55 Posts
if you plan to show

nothing is overpriced. LOL Anything that will give you and edge you must do. Beware of those that say that higher priced is not so great. In grooming products and this is a very proven fact price denotes quality. Beside I can tell you where to get better prices than the local store too for high priced products like shampoo. Alot of stuff I will recommend you can not buy local since it is pro products.

The brushes you will want if showing will be the brass pin anti static ones from CC. Ok, for a sun shield spray try either Bio Grooms Mink Oil or Spa's Pet care Aromatherapy colegns that contain uv protection also. Remember one thing you must condition a coat after shampooing. This is very important for poodle in particular because of all the grooming. You will want gallon sizes since you will be doing alot of bathing for they are much cheaper and not diluted. You will want to get a few smaller samples before investing in large contianer. There are many company's that will send you free samples of there products. Many not listed in catalogs either that many pro groomers use.

I would suggest signing up to the grooming board to read what is said on all products. That board is Petgroomer.com. You can read up on any product perrty much there in the tools sections there are 3 of them.

But for you I think the best place to start is a catalog called Pet Edge they are here on the net and you can have them send it to you for free. They are a grooming catalog so carry most of everything but the real tippy top quality brushes and shampoos. Shampoos and contioners to try out by brand name are Espree, Best Shot, Spa, Bio Groom(many show people use this one), and Purepet. If you want you can go to a show and ask what the people showing there dogs are using back in the grooming area. That is a good place to observe product use and then to see them show and who wins.

For shears you want and need better quality like Heritage, Dubl Duck or Geib. I can swear by Geib they do have mid range and high range prices. and have a lifetime warrenty. The maker of them lives in FL.

BTW I would not buy brushes out of pet edge they are not that good quality CC are far superior in every way. Combs and just about everything else you can buy out of Pet Edge just not brushes. hope this helps good luck with your pups show career. :star:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I certainly do order from petedge and I always use a conditioner after shampooing. I was told that from a person that show's regularly but have never heard to use walmart brand shampoo instead of CC for instance. Im lucky to have a nice cutery shop in town that sells nice quality shears, blades, clipper's etc. I do need a better comb and a spray with spf. Ill be calling petedge to see about getting some samples. Never thought of that. lol

Thanks for all the info. If you have any other suggestions please pass them on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Can I ask why you prefer the brass pin brush over the others?

I think Jenn and I are waiting each other out to see who will break down and get a CC brush first LOL

I am sure she and I (and others too) would want to know why brass pin VS one of the wooden or other pin type materials.

I think all of the CC brushes are supposed to be static free, correct?

I order some of my stuff from pet edge, but the lady who owns the pet store up town orders from that magazine, too...so if I need it NOW I can go up there and check before I pay for express shipping. Plus if I know how much she paid for it, sometimes I can barter her down to just a bit above what she paid, which is REALLY nice!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the grey hound combs should I get a fine/course or medium/course comb?
Also petedge says they dont send out samples when I asked. Maybe they do that for business accounts. That would make sence but I still wanted samples! lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have just bought a heaps of Plush Puppy products and I love them. I bought nearly everything they suggested for a show poodle and although I don't show T, I have been doing the routine they suggest, except for mid week bathing we just do every weekend.

He gets a clarifying shampoo every second wash and in between I am using the whitening shampoo, even though he is blue, they suggest this reduces the brown colour on the ends. He gets a final rinse with seabreeze oil, swishy coat and silk protein conditioner.

Then when I dry he either gets the brow dry cream if I'm shaping or reviva-coat if I just want protection or if his coat is looking particularly dry I put through coat rescue and dry.

It is great fun messing around with the different products and I think his coat looks the better for it - except this morning when he put both front feet and his whole face in his water bucket and then proceeded to run around in the dirt. Can't wait till we get this yard finished with a heap of stones so there is no more dirt!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'd have to agree, you get what you pay for Jen. That being said, just about any shampoo on the market will do a decent job of cleaning a dog who is groomed regularly so yes you can get a clean dog. From what I remember though from previous conversations we were talking about some of the CC shampoo's doing things that were really specific like keeping the skin nice, adding body, and color enhancing. I don't think there is anyone alive who can get to me accept that a walmart whiting shampoo is the same as a CC one or in your case the black on black.
Groomer's choice I beleive will send samples out, but thenthat might be for bussiness too. I don't do any of the actual ordering at the salon, I just tell them what I want them to order.
As for the spray for Stings coat, CC doesn't make one with a sun protectant in it?? I don't have a suggestion, I use super diluted condition on mine when preping for the ring, I don't have any issues with "sunburn" in the black coats, different hair though. We have a black girl that is we are preping now to bring out in March and so far no red. I *think* we are using the crown royal conditioner diluted in water and kept in the fridge. She gets spritzed and rubbed down in the mornings after she goes out and in the evenings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Samples are from the companys that make the shampoos direct not thru pet edge. One of the best poodle combs they sell is 10" long with the blue top with Top Prerformance written on it, sell for $9.99, it is called the Aluminiun Finishing comb. They also have the anti static in 3 types although I have heard sometimes the work and sometimes they do not. I have combs in all sizes since you use them every where on the body so each size is needed. I like smaller combs for face and larger for body and fluffing.

If you read Christensen's site he tells you which brushes are anti static. Not all are, the brass I know for sure are.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think I mentioned that I never use my CC brush!

I got it because a bunch of people said they couldn't live without it (some maltese people, BTW) and apparently

I can!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts