Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our mini just turned 18 weeks old today, and also had his last Parvo booster along with his second Lepto today. His first Lepto was in the combined DHLPP at 13 weeks, and at that point she asked us about Lyme and I knew we wanted to do it eventually but didn't want it at the same time as the others. If I had known more at that time, I would have chosen Lyme first instead of Lepto.

Today's visit was just a tech visit for his last booster, since he already had his 16 week exam with his rabies shot 2 weeks ago, so I didn't get a chance to talk to the vet. But I started worrying about the fact that we have not vaccinated him for Lyme yet and we are travelling to Upstate NY in less than two weeks, where Lyme is more prevalent than it is where we live. If we decided to take him back to the vet in one week for his first Lyme vaccine, would it even offer any protection during our trip, or is it basically useless until after his second booster?

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
If you wait until within one week of leaving for your trip your pup may having rising levels of IgM which will be somewhat protective, but no IgG which is the circulating antibody of secondary immunity that we rely on for the last protections that immunizations provide. I would call the vet's office and ask for a recommendation. I am not sure whether you would be better just waiting or giving the first dose ASAP before your trip. I do immunize my poodles for Lyme since there is a lot of it in my area.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lily. I was adamant that the vet didn't give Lyme along with DHPP + Lepto as that's basically 6 vaccines in one and seemed like a lot, but I am now wishing I gave the Lyme first. We had also pushed the last DHLPP until 18 weeks because I also didn't want to combine it with the Rabies, required at 16 weeks. All my insistence on spacing out vacs has made this rather tricky :)

I will call the vet.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
If your pup is on a good flea and tick preventive then your strategy will probably be fine. I do give out annual Lyme booster separately from other immunizations and rabies separate from all others on the years it is needed. I don't think it was bad to do the lepto first since that can be gotten through more casual exposures like drinking out of contaminated puddles and can be zoonotically transmitted to people.

Reactions: rp17

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update:
The vet basically said make sure he's up to date on his tick prevention (currently Activyl Tick Plus...will switch to Bravecto at 6 months) and just check for ticks each night. She said it's up to us whether we start the vaccine before we leave or after we return, but starting before won't offer any real protection. We'll wait til we get back, as I'd really rather wait a full 2 weeks after his DHLPP before giving another vaccine (especially since both times he's gotten the Lepto vaccine he's ended up very tired and sore for several hours).

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
That sounds like a good plan. I didn't think that rising IgM from the first dose was likely to offer much protection. It takes quite a while for feeding ticks to transmit Lyme so if you are diligent for daily tick checks things should be fine. Look on under sides of ear leather, in the groin and arm pits especially since these are places where there is either bare skin or thinner coat that will be easier access points for ticks.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I second the tick checks daily. What color is your poodle. Mine is white which makes it really easy. You might check your self while you are at it:)

I prefer to go really minimal on the Vaccinations (Dodds). Mine has had severe reactions to flea and tick remedies/preventives so I just check often and it has worked well. For vaccines later I use titer tests to see if needed. It has eliminated many of them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I second the tick checks daily. What color is your poodle. Mine is white which makes it really easy. You might check your self while you are at it:)

I prefer to go really minimal on the Vaccinations (Dodds). Mine has had severe reactions to flea and tick remedies/preventives so I just check often and it has worked well. For vaccines later I use titer tests to see if needed. It has eliminated many of them.
Ours pup is blue (so black in color right now), so not nearly as easy to check for ticks as your white one! We'll be sure to do our best to check everyday though.

I prefer to take a more minimal approach to vaccines as well and I really struggled with the decision on whether or not to give Lepto, but the vet really recommended it because of where we live, and hubby will always go with the vet, as well as anything that modern medicine has to offer. I prefer the idea of titers rather than revaccinating constantly, where his thought is that another vaccine can only help and will not hurt. At least I did convince him (but only because the vet was okay with it) that we were going to give two weeks between the rabies and final DHLPP, and that we won't neuter at 6 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts