Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope these aren't silly questions, but I've been wondering about them.

-Does anyone use eye drops after grooming to help wash out any hairs that get into their eyes?

I have bangs, and I know it's practically impossible not to get tiny little hairs in my eyes when I cut them, and it's very uncomfortable.

-With the tearless shampoos, are they really safe and painless for their eyes? Has anyone tested it on themselves to find out?

When I was a kid the L'Oreal Tearless kids shampoo in the fish-shaped bottle came out and the first thing I did was lather it all over my face and open my eyes to see if it truly was painless... It was not painless. LOL!:laugh:

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I don’t use eye drops on my dog.I never even thought about it even though I use Refresh Plus in my eyes multiple times in a day so I have easy access to eye drops. Babykins never seems bothered after a grooming; I never see her rubbing or scratching her eyes.

They lied when they called it “tearless”. It’s a milder detergent, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, which is less irritating to the eyes and also much less effective at washing oils and styling products out of the hair which is why it’s used for children’s shampoo and not recommended for an adult unless blended with stronger more effective detergents. I haven’t read the ingredient list for my dog shampoo but I’m guessing they use at least some Cocamidopropyl Betaine in the mix Of detergents. I know it’s irritating to the eyes, even tap water is. I usually hold my hand over my dogs eyes when I’m washing her top knot area and rinsing it. I realize it’s not the perfect solution but it minimizes contact.

Reactions: SpooChi

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
They only time I had to take extreme care was with my poodle that had KCS or severe dry eye. I do use Blueberry facial scrub on all my poodles.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t use eye drops on my dog.I never even thought about it even though I use Refresh Plus in my eyes multiple times in a day so I have easy access to eye drops. Babykins never seems bothered after a grooming; I never see her rubbing or scratching her eyes.

They lied when they called it “tearless”. It’s a milder detergent, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, which is less irritating to the eyes and also much less effective at washing oils and styling products out of the hair which is why it’s used for children’s shampoo and not recommended for an adult unless blended with stronger more effective detergents. I haven’t read the ingredient list for my dog shampoo but I’m guessing they use at least some Cocamidopropyl Betaine in the mix Of detergents. I know it’s irritating to the eyes, even tap water is. I usually hold my hand over my dogs eyes when I’m washing her top knot area and rinsing it. I realize it’s not the perfect solution but it minimizes contact.
Thank you for that info Skylar.

I had never heard of anyone using drops, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I have never washed Lyla's face with any kind of shampoo, I just go over it with a warm, damp cloth when I bathe her. But I notice in videos that a lot of groomers take shampoo right up to the eyes or rinse the shampoo over their eyes. I will always be extra careful though, just in case.

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
I keep my hand or a folded face flannel over Poppy's eyes while washing her head, and don't put shampoo on her muzzle at all - just warm water. I also keep a hand over her eyes when trimming near them as much as possible. I have had a fringe for decades, and have never had bits get in my eyes when it is cut, perhaps because I never cut it myself so can shut my eyes if necessary!

Reactions: SpooChi
1 - 8 of 8 Posts