Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the Flipster is my first standard poodle. We have a few that come to the clinic, but most of the owners don't remember puppyhood very well. Ha.

Anyway, when we adopted him on Sept. 19th, I noticed he already had a full set of adult teeth. They told me they thought he was 5-6 months. I looked at his neuter/rabies paperwork and on August 24th he weighed 24lbs. On the 19th when we picked him up he was 29lbs. Now he is up to 32. He was eating some 'all stages' dog food at the foster's home. I think it was called American Natural Premium by Fromm. It smelled nasty and was greasy. I have since changed him to Orijen Large Breed Puppy.
Is he going to be a small guy? Do they really have adult teeth by 6 months?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Pups usually start teething around 5-6 months so yes he could have his adult teeth by then. Enzo's adult teeth where in at 6 months.

As for his weight he sounds about right. I think Enzo was 32-35 at that age. Right now I think he is like 45 ? I have not weighed him in a while. He just turned 1 yesterday.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Puppies start loosing teeth at 3-4 months and should have a full set of adult teeth by 6 months so yes its very normal.

He should be in the 45-55 range so about Standard for a Standard.

I have a big bitch who weights 65 pounds at 2 1/2 years, she could even stand to gain some more mussel mass.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol! my (25") girl is only barely at 40lb on a good day and she's 3.5 years old now! So yeah, 32lb is definitely bigger than a mini at that age, but as my girl proves, weight doesn't really say anything for how big they'll be compared to their height!

·
Registered
875 Posts
:) my girls all weigh 30-37 lbs they are 1, 1 1/2 and 3 ( I will get heights on them later)
my boy Brian is average height and weighs 50 and Einstein weighs close to 55-65 (hes BIG!)

your pup might actually be on the bigger side lol

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Harry is 18 months and last weight check was 44 pounds. He kept losing weight in the summer and because we had Ginger. He was too busy doing his dominance stuff and keeping her out of stuff to eat. She's gone and he's eating a lot better now. The vet didn't seem worried, he's just a thin boy.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Bella is 6 mo and has her adult teeth. They grow so quickly!

She was 40 lbs a month ago or so. I still haven't measured her height :doh:, but she's not chunky at all. Breeder seemed to think she'd be 45. I have no idea how she came up with that (she did for all the puppies, various weights) but I figure she's the expert. I will be curious, though, b/c the vet said to triple the 3 month weight. That would make her HUGE! I think the breeder was right.

We feed Natural Balance grain-free. They don't have different versions for puppies/adults/large breeds. She also gets raw green tripe when we (ahem, Dh) defrosts it. :rolffleyes:

Your pup could just be younger than they think. Bella grew SO fast. She was 11 weeks when we got her and 19 lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts