Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, this might be a bit gross... I am just a bit confused, and would like some input from more experienced owners!!

I have been a bad mommy and haven't plucked Desmond's ear hair for a whiiile lol. I would still check them periodically to make sure everything was fine, but he had some hair in there. I sat us down two days ago and plucked all the hair from his ears (used ear powder). They looked great! Really clean, no wax buildup at ALL. Last time I plucked them, I would pull out long things of hair very easily that had wax all over the bottom; this time the hair did not come out nearly as easily and had no wax.
Well last night I went to go look at them again and one of them in particular was all red at the opening and had nasty wax all over it. It wasn't really red on the inside, but on the very outside, it looked like little sores? I cleaned out the wax with a little ear-cleaner wipey and he was obviously VERY uncomfortable. He kept moving his head and squirming, it must have hurt. His other ear isn't as bad but is also red and has wax in it. He's been shaking his head a LOT today (didn't the night of getting plucked though), I'm trying to keep him from doing it when I can... He's also been scratching lately, which I think may have caused the small sores on the outside.

I'm going to head out to Petco later today and get him some actual ear cleaner, the wipes aren't very thorough. But I'm wondering why his ears were totally fine with all the hair in them, and then when I plucked them, they seem to have gotten infected? Is this normal, like because I haven't plucked them in so long? I haven't seen any wax in his ears for a long time though, probably since I last plucked them, and they have never smelled bad. Right now, they just smell like ear wipeys lol.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've had that happen if I pluck everything in one go too. Plucking opens up the pores that the hair follicles were in, and can be a bit tender at the least, or if there's any problem then it can get straight into the open pores and set in nicely.... :duh:

I not try to only pluck the minimum to keep the open pores to a minimum. No need for bald clean ears!! And if it ain't broke (ie no smell or build up or anything) then I don't fix it and will only pluck if it's thick.

·
Registered
768 Posts
when we first got panda he had thick ear hair so that you couldn't see down his ear at all. After that was plucked the next day he had loads of wax come out as it had been plugged in there, blocked from coming out by all the hair. A few days of cleaning his ears with ear cleaner and it all went away and hasn't come back. Once every few weeks I pluck some hair out if his ears with thornit ear powder and have not had any wax problems since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts