Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Jill. I have two CKC minis and am interested in breeding them. Can you make CKC puppies AKC registered? I have bred puppies many times before but never registered any of them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hi my name is Jill. I have two CKC minis and am interested in breeding them. Can you make CKC puppies AKC registered? I have bred puppies many times before but never registered any of them. Thanks!
Are we talking Continental Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club? I think if it is Canadian then there is a way to register them with the AKC. The best way is to contact them directly.

If it is the Continental Kennel Club, then sorry... no way! The Continetal Kennel Club is considered to be a "junk" registry. They will register just about anything as long as it looks sort of like the original breed and they will give full "breeding" registration to dogs who were originally sold on AKC non-breeding, limited registration (for this they are almost universally despised!).

A note about breeding Minis. It is vitally important to have both breeding parents at least Optigen tested. Many Minis carry a silent gene that causes blindness. You can't tell from looking if your dog carries this gene. The only way to know is to have it tested. If you don't do the testing and you breed two carriers together, some of the puppies will go blind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ACK. I looked into this today but it just won't work. This makes me sad. If I want AKC puppies I must start with AKC dogs. My two are clear for their elbows, knees and eyes. I have to decide to fish or cut bait.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
ACK. I looked into this today but it just won't work. This makes me sad. If I want AKC puppies I must start with AKC dogs. My two are clear for their elbows, knees and eyes. I have to decide to fish or cut bait.
Eyes meaning CERF or Optigen?

What are you hoping to get out of breeding?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts