Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know, I work as a veterinary practice manager (I do some tech work too), and I can bring Flip to work with me every day. I have been (for the most part) dragging him around with me wherever I go.
I left him home today for the first time (crated) since Saturday when we picked him up.

He is about 6 months old, according to the rescue.

Is this bad for him? Will I cause him to become too attached to me if I keep bringing to work with me? I don't want him to get separation anxiety. He pretty much wants to be with me all the time, but he isn't demanding, he just kinda flops out next to me, at home, work, etc.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I think if he's a poodle he wants to be with you all the time by nature. If you leave him home sometimes and take him sometimes, that's a better balance so that if you couldn't take him with you for some reason or things changed, he wouldn't expect anything. Change up the days you take him and leave him so that he just never knows. That's what they tell you to do with cockatoos that like to be with their people and will easily come to expect something and not given it scream to high heaven.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I will try that.

I'll switch it up and take him in the morning some days, come and get him over lunch others, etc.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Are you kidding? This is the greatest socialization opportunity ever! He gets to see other dogs and visit with clients every day, all day, right? My dogs wish they were this lucky.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I'll be bringing my pup to work with me as well, and have been thinking the same thing. I don't want him to freak out whenever I have to leave him! So I think I will put him his crate sometimes at work in a different room. He will also be left some evenings and on week-ends, so I'm hoping he'll get used to it... So I think the suggestion to mix it up is probably a good one.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am home now, and he was fine, no crying, no destruction in the crate.
He went right to the back door when I let him out of the crate and followed our other dog out to the yard where they both did their business.

So far so good!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I do that too, I'm a groomer and Paris comes to work with me 99% of the time, day in and day out. But occasionally I leave her at home for the day too ;) Just so it's never a 'biggie'!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts