Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two standard Poodles girls. One is 2 years and the other is 7 months. They love to wrestle and run after each other all day long. Both have so much energy. So I’m wondering what I will do when I spay my younger one. Like how long can I keep them apart ?? I remember when I had my first one fixed the vet wanted her to stay fairly quiet for a length of time. I just don’t know how I’m going to do this. I’d sure appreciate any feed back on how others managed. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
Our two older dogs are about 7 weeks apart in age so when Lily was spayed it was work to keep her quiet since Peeves (GSD) was always trying to body block herd her. She also is a ball crazy retriever.

She spent a lot of time in her crate is the basic answer. I also took her out in the yard on leash and without the other dog loose to tempt her. When I was home in the evening and she was relaxed I had her lounge on the couch or bed with me, but BF would have Peeves in a separate space during those times too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our two older dogs are about 7 weeks apart in age so when Lily was spayed it was work to keep her quiet since Peeves (GSD) was always trying to body block herd her. She also is a ball crazy retriever.

She spent a lot of time in her crate is the basic answer. I also took her out in the yard on leash and without the other dog loose to tempt her. When I was home in the evening and she was relaxed I had her lounge on the couch or bed with me, but BF would have Peeves in a separate space during those times too.

Thank you for your reply. Could I ask you how long you kept them apart??

·
Registered
110 Posts
My problem was Mini loves to jump. The day after her spay while on leash, I open the baby gate to take her into my office -- she jumped over the fence instead of walking through the gate. :ahhhhh: She had never done that before. We got lucky and she was fine. She was calm until she done with her pain meds then it harder, so leash, crate, filled Kongs etc. The other problem was Cooper was getting restless so I took him to doggie day care a few times so he could run off some energy. Mini was my first spay, all the other females I had were rescues and where spayed before coming home. I was nervous.

·
Premium Member
22,983 Posts
I think it was about ten days of being really restrictive. Lily's spay was traditional, not laparoscopic. Thankfully she's a cuddler and although I knew she wanted to run and jump she was pretty okay most of the time. I think one of the most important things was to keep her from doing a lot of jumping. Her games with Peeves at that point in time had lots of jumping from one level of the decks to another and heavy chasing on the grass.

Reactions: Christine01

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Mine is really energetic and loves to play but she stayed calm for at least the first 4-5 days. I had forbidden her to jump on the couch and she (thankfully) obeyed. She waited for me to pick her up (she’s a toy). Even after she was healed, it took her at least a whole month to dare jump on the couch on her own, lol !

For the first 48 hours she most probably won’t want to do much, After that, maybe keep her on a leash with you if she’s too hyper and wants to play. Or crate her. If you can have control over your other dog, then that’s also a good idea to make her understand she can’t play with her sister for a while.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My problem was Mini loves to jump. The day after her spay while on leash, I open the baby gate to take her into my office -- she jumped over the fence instead of walking through the gate. :ahhhhh: She had never done that before. We got lucky and she was fine. She was calm until she done with her pain meds then it harder, so leash, crate, filled Kongs etc. The other problem was Cooper was getting restless so I took him to doggie day care a few times so he could run off some energy. Mini was my first spay, all the other females I had were rescues and where spayed before coming home. I was nervous.

I thought about taking my 2 yr old to day care, but when I separated them the reunion is quite a party. They just love each other so much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is really energetic and loves to play but she stayed calm for at least the first 4-5 days. I had forbidden her to jump on the couch and she (thankfully) obeyed. She waited for me to pick her up (she’s a toy). Even after she was healed, it took her at least a whole month to dare jump on the couch on her own, lol !

For the first 48 hours she most probably won’t want to do much, After that, maybe keep her on a leash with you if she’s too hyper and wants to play. Or crate her. If you can have control over your other dog, then that’s also a good idea to make her understand she can’t play with her sister for a while.

Thanks. She just hates the create and I have a home based business. I want to separate them and keep her quiet some how.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Being standards, they just walk onto my couch. Haha. They just have so much energy. My first one was only calm until the next day. I have a feeling this one will be the same. *

·
Registered
389 Posts
Depends on when you are going to spay too. I do a lot of performance with my dogs so don't do early spay and let them go through their first heat which for one was around 16 months and the other around 18 months. For my purposes the trade off for the increase in mammary cancer % after one heat v. orthopedic injuries and other factors for spaying after sexual maturity is one I have chosen to accept. I also do a prophylactic gastropexy at the time I spay so want the dog's stomach fully grown. If you are delaying spay for a while, both will be older and likely a bit calmer. My older girl was 6 1/2 when I spayed my 1 1/2 year old and though they were used to playing pretty hard together I used a crate when needed, but for the most part just kept them from playing by just telling them to settle down when in the house. I did not let them out in the yard together until the younger one was fully able to play w/o restriction.

Reactions: Christine01

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends on when you are going to spay too. I do a lot of performance with my dogs so don't do early spay and let them go through their first heat which for one was around 16 months and the other around 18 months. For my purposes the trade off for the increase in mammary cancer % after one heat v. orthopedic injuries and other factors for spaying after sexual maturity is one I have chosen to accept. I also do a prophylactic gastropexy at the time I spay so want the dog's stomach fully grown. If you are delaying spay for a while, both will be older and likely a bit calmer. My older girl was 6 1/2 when I spayed my 1 1/2 year old and though they were used to playing pretty hard together I used a crate when needed, but for the most part just kept them from playing by just telling them to settle down when in the house. I did not let them out in the yard together until the younger one was fully able to play w/o restriction.

Thank you so much for the info. I haven’t decided yet on when. There seems to be pros and cons to both decisions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts