Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have been looking for a standard poodle puppy. I lost my beautiful boy in September at 12 years old to cancer. I just had a question, I did find a breeder and I was actually going to put a deposit down today. Yesterday I was asking some health questions I couldn’t read the papers that were sent over. So I asked for new copies to be sent and also about Addison’s disease. It was just normal questions you would ask. And she got upset and told me to find another breeder. I’m very upset and actually don’t understand it. We had a very nice rapport. But when I asked about Addison she got very defensive. Just upset and really just don’t understand.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What did you ask?
If you asked about any history of Addison's in her dogs, I feel like that's a valid question. Maybe she got defensive because it's a problem in her dogs.
On the other hand, maybe she felt that you expected a guarantee that a puppy from her wouldn't get Addison's, which is of course not realistic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you ask?
If you asked about any history of Addison's in her dogs, I feel like that's a valid question. Maybe she got defensive because it's a problem in her dogs.
On the other hand, maybe she felt that you expected a guarantee that a puppy from her wouldn't get Addison's, which is of course not realistic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. I was just reading up on Addison’s yesterday. And decided to just ask about it. I definitely wasn’t asking for a guarantee. And maybe she thought that. I just went over our conversation that we had texting. And I have a feeling she may have confused me with someone else. Because the reply that I did receive was extremely defensive. Maybe it just wasn’t meant to be.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Ouch. You have my sympathy. I've been turned down by various breeders over the years for reasons both good and bad. Sometimes I left the conversation thinking "whew, dodged a bullet there." Other times I felt like a high school senior turned down by my first choice college.

It's a seller's market right now due to the quarantine puppy phenomenon. Breeders - both good and bad - have more customers than they can handle. I think, in general, it is important to remember that buying a puppy is not like ordering a car off a lot. Having lost two dogs in the past year, I wish it were. I'd sign up for the "calm temperament, no cancer, no autoimmune disorders, water loving, 55 lbs brown parti" package immediately.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Does this breeder title her dogs in conformation or performance sports? Do all OFA recommended health testing? If so I would apologize for any misunderstanding and say you were just trying to figure out as much as possible about what to expect with the breed. And that you value her knowledge as a breeder and felt she was a good source to hear from.

If those things aren't true she was probably getting defensive because she may not be that reputable and wanted to get out of a situation that would be uncomfortable for her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, everything was fine. And I definitely was not out of line even the way I had asked it. So either she got me confused with someone else because she mentioned something about our conversation on the phone and we never did mention it on the phone. Or she was just being defensive. Crazy🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I did get back to her and asked her if she confuse me with someone else. No reply yet at this time.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
That’s frustrating and also so disappointing. I’m sorry. Maybe she’ll still get back to you. If not, this might fall into the “dodged a bullet” category.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I recently ask a breeder if she did health testing she acted defensive to me also, but was still willing to sell me her dog. I didn't like the way she acted as if I shouldn't be asking those questions but I was about to send off a 500 deposit so I wasn't going to wait until afterwards to ask. I ended up going with a different breeder so my puppy will be ready the last part of march. I feel like I may have dodged a bullet but I guess I will never know now. She didn't have it listed on her web page either that she did testing. Hang in there and keep looking you will find your perfect new fur baby its not as easy as some may think to find the right breeder that has a puppy available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point I just believe it was not meant to be. Maybe I asked questions because I had my doubts. I’m not looking for the perfect dog. I just want a reputable breeder. I’m not in a hurry. What’s meant to be will be. Thank you! the best to you

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I recently ask a breeder if she did health testing she acted defensive to me also, but was still willing to sell me her dog. I didn't like the way she acted as if I shouldn't be asking those questions but I was about to send off a 500 deposit so I wasn't going to wait until afterwards to ask. I ended up going with a different breeder so my puppy will be ready the last part of march. I feel like I may have dodged a bullet but I guess I will never know now. She didn't have it listed on her web page either that she did testing. Hang in there and keep looking you will find your perfect new fur baby its not as easy as some may think to find the right breeder that has a puppy available.
In that case you most certainly dodged a bullet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts