Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bringing home a puppy of my own is about a year away. I'm just curious if you guys went into getting a puppy with a color choice in mind. I want another white/cream male but I'm wondering if breeders ask for color preferences when placing puppies. If I had a my choice I'd end up with a cream male with a similar temperament to Buddy (people pleaser, cuddler, sweetheart, funny). I'll wait as many litters as it takes to get that.

So for your breeders...am I weird or is this the case for most people?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
When I started looking for my puppy, I was very open minded about the color. But when I found Teddy, I knew he was the right color for me. I know it might sound weird, but I can't imagine having a mini of any other color, except for maybe a red. My first poodle was an apricot mini too. I think it was just meant to be. :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
So bringing home a puppy of my own is about a year away. I'm just curious if you guys went into getting a puppy with a color choice in mind. I want another white/cream male but I'm wondering if breeders ask for color preferences when placing puppies. If I had a my choice I'd end up with a cream male with a similar temperament to Buddy (people pleaser, cuddler, sweetheart, funny). I'll wait as many litters as it takes to get that.

So for your breeders...am I weird or is this the case for most people?
Most breeders only breed one or two colours. When someone calls me, they call because they are looking for a red, and that is what I breed. If someone calls and their only concern is how dark that puppy will be, they are not the kind of buyers I want, because none of us can/should guarantee that our pups will be or stay deep red. While I have been lucky, that is not the case always. In a couple of years, we will likely be offering blacks, reds and apricots, while we grow our breeding program and opt to improve conformation, rather than being single minded and focusing on colour.

Good luck, and hoping you get the boy of your dreams!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense Arreau. And if it comes down to a black pup with the perfect temperament or a white pup with a temperament that's not for me, I'll definitely go with the black dog. I think all standards are gorgeous but I love the whites/creams the most. The breeder I'm chatting with now breeds mainly creams and blacks. I'd be ok with either/or.

I wish I could just fast forward to this summer to be home with Buddy and then fast forward to this time next year so I can be bringing home my own pup! I just have to keep telling myself that I've waited this long, another year will be nothing. And when it finally happens it will be that much sweeter. I'll probably cry when I leave the breeder with my own dog.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I would say most people start out with one or two colours in mind. Personally, while temperament/ health is of course of the utmost importance, the look of the dog also matters. I feel there's enough breeders out there that you should be able to find what you're looking for. :)

Having said that, I started looking for a black, then got frustrated and so decided I would be open to silver or blue, the got more frustrated and decided cream or white might be ok. I seem now to be back to black although it's not for sure.

Oh and I hear you on the waiting thing! I decided over a year ago that the time was right to start thinking about getting a dog, then about 8 months ago decided the poodle was the right breed. Since then I've just been waiting and waiting. I can say it has gone pretty quickly though! And seeing everyone else's dogs here on the forum helps too.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I wanted white, and only white. Of course I didn't go looking for Paris, she came and found me, but if I HAD been shopping for a poodle, I would have turned away any other pup for a white one. Well, I like to think I would have, but perhaps faced with a black one I'd have crumbled! lol!

I'm a groomer though, so white was what I wanted so I can colour her!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love your Paris pictures! I haven't seen any colored pics but maybe I have to look back. If you haven't posted any yet, I look forward to them! I was googling Standard Poodle videos yesterday and I found this one that was so funny and adorable. I'm sure the Canadiens on the board will appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, Jecht is awesome, he's got a lot of pics all over the internet of his colour jobs!!! And I have posted pics of Paris' colour, I just haven't done anything much yet!!! Though she's likely to go purple after my exams this year. lol!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I'm not super picky about color but white is my favorite followed closely by black. I'm hoping to buy from a breeder who is going to have a white, silver and blue litter, so I definately want a white puppy. If they were having black and white, I would take either. I also like white b/c it's not going to change a whole lot, lol. Of course color is purely superficial and health, temperment and conformation come first.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think it's important to get the overall dog of your "dreams." I wanted an apricot, my husband wanted a black or brown. We ended up with black, obviously. But, it's also important to go with a breeder who gives you warm fuzzies and produces quality dogs. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would go to a breeder who was breeding the color i wanted, or at least the colors i could easily live with. I want a black. I will be open and willing to a breeder who might have blues/silvers in teh litter so if that puppy was more suited to me i could handle it. I personally wouldnt look at breeders whos color i didnt prefer.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
We chose dogs according to what we were looking for for breeding. But the thing we look for first and foremost is the proper temperament, and then the best conformation we can get. We have black, silver, grey, and apricot. We hope to go to mostly silver, black, and white as we breed up in the future.

If I was looking for a pet, I would definitely want the temperament I enjoy in a poodle and in the color that I like. So I would be willing to wait until I was able to get both in a puppy.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I agree with what everyone is saying
I first started looking for a white/cream poodle only, nothing else was good enough for me then I found Elphie and it
turns out I love the browns ((Brownish? still have no idea what her true colour is))

and again after I joined this forum my opinions on colour went RIGHT out the door because for my next poodle ((sometime late this year or earlyish next year)) will be either a silver or a red but again the colour doesn't really matter to me
look at Elphie her colour still perplexes people

·
Registered
752 Posts
For me, I could really care less about color. It's all about the temperament and health. However, if the temperament and health are both there and I had a choice between colors, I think I'd go with silver or black. I really love watching the color change in silvers. Both of my dogs get bathed once a week, but Cosita looks so much dirtier than Liberty! Of course Cosita enjoys rolling in gross things more too, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. I do love how much easier it is to get a good picture of a light colored dog though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was dead set on a black female.

We got a chocolate (yes brown, but I don't care, I like the word chocolate!) male. But when we went to meet the litter, he was the one that 'gelled', he was just the most suitable.

Thats okay, he's 17months now. When he's about 4 we'll introduce a second mini (although I may be talked into a standard). She'll be black :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a question about my toy poodle. His color looks cream to me...but from his records, he's Apricot. Is it possible that it's true color will come out when he gets older because I'm noticing that some parts of his body especially the ear is becoming darker and darker.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I got to choose all my colors. I wanted a true black female FIRST. A year later I wanted a 2nd poodle and I had a calendar with a silver, so I found my silver/boy. A year later, I wanted another......something unusual, so I bought a parti. About 3 years went by of regular grooms and I was ready for creative coloring. All my groomer friend had white standards. I found my girl on a poster on a Pepsi/machine. DOG 4 SALE. So I brought her into my group. I have never chosen for personality, only color. I mold their personalities once I bring them home. My toy is a dark cream and he was the only one left...so I didn't have a cream yet so he became mine. Funny thing is, I don't desire owning a red or brown or a phantom.....I don't favor those colors

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
o_O
how can you not choose your puppy by personality first?
((I knew I wanted a friendly companion dog no matter the colour when I went looking for my first poodle I just had a preference in my mind of cream/white but personality has to come first before colour always))
colour is lovely but aside from it being aesthetically appealing it doesn't offer much more then that.

if you have 2 established dogs in the home and you bring an alpha dog into the mix thats begging for trouble bickering over who eats first, who lays where ect ect
and there's only so much "molding" one can do if you pick a dog whose screwed in the head you're in for a heap of trouble

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
To be honest, color is very important to me. I know it's a bit superficial, but I can't imagine having a black spoo instead of my cream one. It's like how I can't imagine getting anything other than a red Shiba Inu. I just couldn't see myself with a black and tan or a cream. Or a Pharaoh Hound with a lot of white markings, IDK it just... I have an image in my mind of the kind of dog I want, and if it doesn't at least look mostly like that, it's just not the same. However, there is no way I would get a dog with a bad temperament just for its looks, no way. I'd want a good temperament and good colors.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would go to a breeder who was breeding the color i wanted, or at least the colors i could easily live with. I personally wouldnt look at breeders whos color i didnt prefer.
I agree with this -

For me it is the initial "look" or "appearance" that draws you to that color. IMO

1 - 20 of 43 Posts