Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I am new to this forum but not to poodles. Growing up my family always had poodles. Since moving out of my parents home over 6 years ago I have not had a dog. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. Here is my issue.

- I live alone (well I have a cat)

- I work 12 hour night shifts (but could come home to let the dog out half way through)

- I could walk the dog twice a day even when working.

- I have to sleep during the day.

- I only work 12 shifts a month and so the majority of my time could be with the dog.

I have wanted a poodle for a long time. Do you think that a dog could adjust to my night shift schedule?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Dogs tend to work around their owners. I don't see where your schedule would be bad at all. Although I work during the day - you will be home more than me.
Good luck in your search! And Welcome.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dogs are pretty versatile creatures and are happy with anytime you spend together. I know when I was going to school full-time and working full-time, my dog got walked first thing in the morning (5 am) was in the crate for about 6 hours, I came home, walked her played with her for about an hour, and then went to work for 8 hours. Walked her again when I came home, and went to bed. You will be home more than I was at that time, and she was perfectly happy, or at least from what I could tell, she was fine with the schedule.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If your cat and your poodle get along, they can keep each other company when you're at work.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome! Most cats will adjust to a new comer. However it may take a few weeks. New puppies take alot of work and socialization and training. Have you considered getting an older dog? Breeders offer many nice adults that are no longer in their breeding program. They are young enough for you enjoy many years of companionship with an older dog.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Any of my adults would be fine with a person like you. They would LOVE to sleep with you all day long and take care of a cat while you are away. I can't say that they'd stay out of the cats dish, but it would have clean ears, that's for sure. I feel guilty if I have the flu and have to stay in bed, but the dogs really love it. They are very adaptable. I would get an adult for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there. I am new to this forum but not to poodles. Growing up my family always had poodles. Since moving out of my parents home over 6 years ago I have not had a dog. I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice. Here is my issue.

- I live alone (well I have a cat)

- I work 12 hour night shifts (but could come home to let the dog out half way through)

- I could walk the dog twice a day even when working.

- I have to sleep during the day.

- I only work 12 shifts a month and so the majority of my time could be with the dog.

I have wanted a poodle for a long time. Do you think that a dog could adjust to my night shift schedule?
I'm also on a night shift schedule but I'm able to take care of two dogs, a daschund and a toy poodle. I usually work from 11pm - 8am (5 days a week). Usually when I go home, I can take them for 15 - 30 mins. walk. everyday. So far, i don't see any issues on my poodle, hehe prolly because he has another companion when i'm not at home. I think, the only issue for almost everyone, is the house space. I opted to have a toy poodle because I'm just living in a small bachelor pad....how I wish i can have a toy poodle inside....that will be impossible.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I haven't had to clean my cats ears anywhere near as much since I got my poodle :doh: Gross, but the cat enjoys it!

I agree with the others, your dog will adapt, you are still home a fair bit! Have you got a local rescue you could have a look around? If you could find an adult that wasn't too old and maybe given up by an owner with little time / no understanding of their energy levels and stimulation requirements over say an abusive/agressive animal that would take alot more work, than it could be easier again on you, if that all makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts