Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we first brought our poodle home two years ago, we immediately registered him with AKC Reunite per the breeder's recommendation.
When we eventually had him micro-chipped, he received a HomeAgain chip since that's what our vet uses. I'm receiving notices that it's time to renew our annual HomeAgain membership for $22, but I don't know if that's necessary.

My understanding is that renewing the membership gets us additional services, but his chip number remains registered with HomeAgain no matter what, and they will still be able to provide all necessary information should someone scan his chip even if we no longer have a membership. Is that correct?

Second, since we are registered with AKC Reunite and have his HomeAgain chip ID entered in the AKC Reunite system, is there really any reason to renew HomeAgain?

My final question is, what happens when his chip gets scanned? They get a read on a chip ID, but does that specifically state it's a HomeAgain chip? Would whoever scans the chip also be provided a phone number for AKC Reunite since his chip is in their system as well?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have no experience with AKC Reunite, but Home Again is a yearly registry which you pay for. If you are not renewing through AKC then you would need to keep up your membership with Home Again. That keeps your chip registry current with them so that you can be notified if your dog's chip is scanned. I believe that if your membership is not kept up you would not be notified.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
One thing they do not ad advertise freely is that the Pet is registered for a lifetime. You do lose the extra services but should they get lost, the company will still have them in the data base and will provide your info.
here’s a link on their site that explains it, you do need to make sure your contact information is kept up to date

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing they do not ad advertise freely is that the Pet is registered for a lifetime. You do lose the extra services but should they get lost, the company will still have them in the data base and will provide your info.
here’s a link on their site that explains it, you do need to make sure your contact information is kept up to date

Thank you, that was my understanding but I wanted to be sure. The AKC Reunite service was only a one time fee for the life of your pet, as opposed to the annual fee for HomeAgain. Of course I would renew HomeAgain if necessary, but it sounds like you're just paying for extras, some of which I already have with the AKC.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
My boys are chipped with a HomeAgain microchip and that's where I keep any information updated since the ID number on the chip will be HomeAgain's. I have no other service with their info.
I also let the "membership" lapse and receive occasional reminders to sign up again but I'm not likely to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts