Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, my apricot standard, Santiago, was recently bred to a beautiful blue Simon daughter. A person from Ireland contacted her looking to purchase a show puppy. This person said that they could show a poodle with a docked tail IF it the puppy was from the US. My question is,,,, can a show poodle be shown in Ireland with a docked tail IF it were bred in the United States?

thanks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well, I don't live in the U.K., but it looks like the answer is in general no, from the info on this page: Already competing in dog showing? | The Kennel Club

"The law in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, for shows with a paying gate, applies to all dogs wherever they were born or wherever they were docked."

So maybe in certain parts of Ireland, they could show? It's a shame if they can't--your dogs are gorgeous!

·
Registered
698 Posts
According to the Rules & Regulations of the Irish Kennel Club,

132.The tail of any exhibit may be shortened in any breed in which the recognised breed standard permits it, providing it was carried out in a country that it is legal to do.

This is on page 10. Looks like you'd be OK!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I'm not a UK member but I like to learn so here's what I've found so far, all from The Kennel Club site:
Getting registered if a foreign dog
Docked tails addressed, Options for showing
Show regulations

The Irish Kennel Club

Based on the above responses, given an independent Irish Kennel Club then it seems likely that the pup could only be shown in those Club venues.

But in the same link from Floof is this:
N.B - The owner of any dog, from any country, which was docked on or after 6 April 2007 (28 March 2007 for shows in Wales) must apply to The Kennel Club for permission to show at a Kennel Club licensed show before competing. Applications must be put in writing to The Kennel Club, Clarges Street, London, W1J 8AB, UK.

·
Registered
12,701 Posts
It depends whether the enquiry is from Eire (Southern Ireland) which is an independent country with its own Kennel Club, or Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom and of the UK Kennel Club. Both are parts of the island of Ireland. The Irish Kennel Club (Eire) permits docked dogs to be shown if they are imports from a country where it is still legal; the UK Kennel Club (Northern Ireland) does not.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses and your kind help!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't live in the U.K., but it looks like the answer is in general no, from the info on this page: Already competing in dog showing? | The Kennel Club

"The law in England, Northern Ireland and Wales, for shows with a paying gate, applies to all dogs wherever they were born or wherever they were docked."

So maybe in certain parts of Ireland, they could show? It's a shame if they can't--your dogs are gorgeous!
Thank you FloofyPoodle!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts