Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pro grooming school does not cover specific poodle cuts UNLESS you get customers that want them. I was lucky in that I got to lern five poodle cuts when in school. But it was south FL so we had many poodle owners. If the school is not in a poodle area I would say you might see two cuts maybe three like the kennel or sporting clip, lamb and maybe a summer or miami or the town and country. These are the most common customer cuts.

I do know those that have poodle and groom pro that cut their own in the fancy cuts then will get more clients that want the fancy cuts. But it is all a maintance and time thing. Poodle with long hair has to be bathed and dried weekly or more often to look good. Not many owners want to pay for that done.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
For a start, 99.9% (or more) of any pro groomers clients will be pet dogs, not show dogs, the odd show dog might be something like a boxer or something! LOL!

Generally speaking most show people don't trust their dogs show career on just anyone, they'll groom the dog themselves, or have someone they either have mentored themselves, or was their mentor in the first place to help them groom. If a show poodle was taken to an every-day pet salon it'd be most likely cos the owner knows the groomer personally and has worked with them and knows they'll do their dog proud on the clip.

And as a result, it's not generally taught in schools, cos there's no real likely-hood of any normal pro groomer to ever do those clips! If I *really* wanted to know the clips more than I do, then I'd go to a breeder/shower of poodles and see if they'd mentor me a bit on the show poodle grooming. I'd not really expect any school to know enough about a true show clip to teach me what I need to know ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Grooming School I attended taught every style of clipping including the show trims. The owner was involved in Toy Poodles showing, and owned a shop for many years. Her retirement years were spent running the Grooming School and teaching others.
Grooming School was six full time months long (9-5 Monday-Friday). Students graduating from Hills Professional School of Dog Grooming went on to successful careers in grooming, boarding and Pet Shop ownership.
So, to answer your question, I did learn them but I don't know how other schools operate these days.:act-up:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I loved my school but we did not learn "show" clips. 8 wks of Poodle course was learning scissoring skills, proper fluff drying, common pattern placement. Lamb, Kennel, Sporting, Mod. Puppy, T&C the patterns we learned on actual dogs though we had tests that we had to do diagrams of all styles with proper placement of lines. I only do 1 Mod. Continental & never did a Saddle Clip. I do Competition Grooming now but doing the "German" which was never taught & I don't think seen in the US except for the last few years. Of course I am doing Poodles as "other" breeds- now working on a PWD style. I have seen Poodles done as Bedlingtons, Welsh Terrier, Kerry Blues, & Bichon are more common in the competition ring now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I didn't learn squat in grooming school other than the bare basics of pet grooming. All of my poodle knowledge came from petgroomer.com and here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts