Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...embarrassing question, but...what is your take on breast feeding?
I've always said I would never breast feed, but now as an upcoming
mother I show a slight interest towards it, maybe not actually having
the baby clutched to my breast, but using a breast pump to put my milk
in a bottle for the baby. I'm just now noticing milk is starting to develop,
but I am unsure if I should ask the Dr. to give me something to get rid of
it or breast feed...I'm confused. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I find breastfeeding is the better alternative. They get alot more goodness out of mothers milk than the formula. Dont get me wrong, they survive either way and still grow up to be healthy, but there is still more they can get from mum. Breast feeding doesnt suit every woman, with me I got blisters on my blisters and it bloody hurt. But when I got through all that it felt good :)

You can buy a breast pump if you dont want to feed naturally. U will get the hang of using one, and save on money buying formula too. They are inexpensive. Your doctor can tell you where you can go to get all the things neccessary.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find breastfeeding is the better alternative. They get alot more goodness out of mothers milk than the formula. Dont get me wrong, they survive either way and still grow up to be healthy, but there is still more they can get from mum. Breast feeding doesnt suit every woman, with me I got blisters on my blisters and it bloody hurt. But when I got through all that it felt good :)

You can buy a breast pump if you dont want to feed naturally. U will get the hang of using one, and save on money buying formula too. They are inexpensive. Your doctor can tell you where you can go to get all the things neccessary.
I agree. If I am able to purchase a breast pump, I definately would like
touse my own breast milk and maybe feed naturally at "home" also. I
think it's the better alternative as well and I think it would be well worth
it in the end. :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
mercymoon

This is one of those things that is different for everybody and you have to do what's best for you. It's clear that it's best for the baby if you can make it work but if not, don't worry. Formulas these days are really great. I tried it with my son and was not so easy. They don't tell you that part. I would highly encourage you to try- health benefits, bonding, cheaper than formula... But if it doesn't work, don't stress! It's ok.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mercymoon

This is one of those things that is different for everybody and you have to do what's best for you. It's clear that it's best for the baby if you can make it work but if not, don't worry. Formulas these days are really great. I tried it with my son and was not so easy. They don't tell you that part. I would highly encourage you to try- health benefits, bonding, cheaper than formula... But if it doesn't work, don't stress! It's ok.
Thank you, I really think I'd like to give it a go, if it doesn't work out
...well at least I tried.:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi mercymoon,

I am a nurse in the Labor and Delivery unit at our hospital here in Carson City. Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for your baby. It is specially made just for them. There have also been long term studies on baby's who were breastfed versus formula-fed....the research was to study the intelligence level of the two groups as they aged. Well the breastfed baby's scored higher on the tests. Plus, breast milk is free and it is available anywhere and at any time your baby is hungry. No mixing, warming, or messing with formula. Pumping is a wonderful idea if you would rather not have them hurt your breasts though.

Either way....congratulations! :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mercymoon,

I am a nurse in the Labor and Delivery unit at our hospital here in Carson City. Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for your baby. It is specially made just for them. There have also been long term studies on baby's who were breastfed versus formula-fed....the research was to study the intelligence level of the two groups as they aged. Well the breastfed baby's scored higher on the tests. Plus, breast milk is free and it is available anywhere and at any time your baby is hungry. No mixing, warming, or messing with formula. Pumping is a wonderful idea if you would rather not have them hurt your breasts though.

Either way....congratulations! :)
Thank you for the information, it is very helpful in my situation. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I tried to breast feed with my first son and we just couldn't get it. Between the irritation to me (litterally) and him being hungry (not latching good) I ended up going to formula.

My second boy Andrew, was born with Hirschsprungs Disease. I had to pump all my milk for him and freeze it. When he could finally able eat he got breast milk. He was one of those cases that really needed the nutrients. I believe that breast feeding is a great thing if it works for you. Not to mention what a great bonding experience that is for momma and baby. You can always pump and let daddy give some bottles too which Im sure he will love.

When your baby is born you will get a fill for what is working and whats not. You'll get it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I tried with both of mine, but it just wasn't happening! lol Jodie w'as too hungry and I wasn't producing enough milk to fill her, so switched to formula and then with Luke, he wouldn't feel full stop and then when he would and I tried BF it turned out he was tongue tied and therefore didn't latch on properly, and tbh my milk wasn't in properly to express, so again went with formula. I have two happy healthy kids and am proud of the way I brought them up...my midwife said happy mum, happy baby and I agree! Good luck with whatever you choose to do sweetie xxxx

·
Registered
478 Posts
I agree with what the others said in that I would try it and if you don't like it you can do something else. Both of my boys were 90% breastfed and 10%bottle fed in the beginning and then when they hit 6 months or so, they stopped and went to the bottle (formula). My first didn't latch on well at all and I had to use this clear plastic shield (you can ask for one in the hospital before you leave). After about a week of using it, he figured it out.
I can't tell you how precious it was during the middle of the night feedings to watch their sweet little heads bob up and down and you just held them. My boys are 6 and 31/2 now and that is one thing I do miss about their baby months during the first year.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Breast feeding is wonderful!!!!

If you can, by all means, I suggest you do it. However, if you cannot, DO NOT feel guilty. Your baby will be just fine on formula if needed.

I started making milk at 18 weeks pregnant (21 weeks now), so I am hopeful.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mommy's milk is always best...but it doesn't always work for everyone. Don't feel guilty if it doesn't work out.

If you plan on pumping and bottle feeding there is one thing I suggest...I would rent a pump from your hospital (all the hospitals around here do it, you can see if yours will) rather than going out and purchasing a pump. I had 3 different models that ranged from cheap to semi-expensive and none of them worked. I could NOT get any milk to come out. A friend of mine rented a very expensive pump from the hospital (it was only a few dollars a month), and it totally made a world of difference. Also, it was a double pump so she could do both breasts at once. The ones I had would take me an hour only to get drops...lol...The one she had was like a super hoover vac and would suck that milk out in no time. lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts