Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my standard poodle is about 19 weeks old. Today I finally got out my Bravura clippers to attempt to clip a little bit on his feet and at the base of his tail.

My breeder is also a groomer and she groomed the puppies from a young age. I loved the way she shaved down his snout and under the neck, base of tail/sanitary area, and feet.

But the groomer I have taken him to recently (at the vet clinic) did not shave down the area under his neck and that part is all scruffy. If I had more knowledge and skills with the clippers I would try to clip that area myself but is it "dangerous" to use the clippers in that area? It just makes me nervous. Do you have any tips or advice? I have watched some videos but I don't want to knick my puppy. thank you!

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=sue+zecco+poodles&oq=sue+zekko+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.9351j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I watched lots of this groomer's videos and learned a lot. She's awesome. Just keep going through them and you'll be fine. She's very nice, patient and explicit in her descriptions I think. Very good.

I was just like you when I got my puppies...nervous. lol. :afraid: But in no time I was getting the job done, albeit not perfectly. But after 5 years of this, I'm doing all right. Once a month give or take, I groom my two boys.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
I also use a Bravura. You can do this. If you turn your clipper over and look at the adjustable slider, the 15 blade is dead center. Click it one setting left and that's a 10 blade. I used a 10 blade on my puppy's face and neck.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
It’s safe. Test it on your arm or leg, you’ll see it’s easy. Of course the neck on a spoo puppy is a moving target where your arm isn’t. Take your time and it will be okay.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I hold their little chins heavenward and make sure the skin is pulled tautly. You don't want jiggly skin when you're shaving. (you probably already know this) Anyhow, I use a #30 blade for the shaved places...very close. But I've done it that way since the beginning and the breeder showed me. It wasn't long before Matisse was showing and so that's how it was done. I use a Wahl mini arco for the shaved places and the Chromado with lithium battery. It's almost the same thing as the Bravura...both very nice. But I have toys so not sure how the minis would work on a standard.

Reactions: Moni

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
He won't stay still for me. I don't have a grooming table so I am trying to do it on occasions when he seems calm and quiet. It's not working so far but I will keep trying or maybe I need a grooming table?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Thank you for the words of encouragement.
He won't stay still for me. I don't have a grooming table so I am trying to do it on occasions when he seems calm and quiet. It's not working so far but I will keep trying or maybe I need a grooming table?

Well, whatever you do, don't get frustrated or cross when he won't hold still. This has to be really pleasant for him so he'll behave well for years to come. Here's what I'd recommend: Practice in VERY short sessions. I mean like 20-30 seconds of brushing or running the clippers over him, then 45 sec...then a minute. Do it several times a day. You can do it without actually clipping hair...just to teach him to hold still. Every time he gives you a still body for even a couple seconds, give him very high value tid bits for treats. (real meat or mozzarella cheese for instance) Or do it when he's eating from his bowl when he's going to be holding relatively still anyhow. It sounds like you could use a table with an arm and noose to tie him. I'm not sure...maybe others with standards can chime in. It seems like when they're up high on a table, they may tend to figure they can't go anywhere so might as well hold still. Anyhow, when (and only when) he has a few seconds of holding still and is being rewarded for it, after he's getting onto it pretty well....attach a verbal cue to holding still. (I say, "hold still.") Anyhow, the idea is to set him up to succeed at holding still for short periods, starting with very tiny time periods of holding still and working up to longer and longer. Maybe for a week or two, while he's learning to hold still better, you can put off clipping him just right...how you want him. You could get someone else to help hold him, but be sure it doesn't over whelm or freak him out to have a couple people hovering over him, forcing him to hold still. Force can sometimes cause some trouble. Like wine, he'll improve with age and practice. :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
90 Posts
My Miniature puppy wouldn't let me anywhere near his face or neck the first few times I tried. Then my husband helped hold him still and I was able to get a few passes over his nose and neck. Now he stays still for face clipping. I think he just needed to be shown that the clipper was not going to hurt him. Perhaps another set of hands to gently help hold him still a few times until he trusts that it will be okay would help? I am using a Bravura clipper with a 10 bade (with the direction of the hair) for now on his face/neck/feet/sanitary. If you keep the chin up and the skin taught, you should be fine with the neck skin.

A grooming table would probably be helpful so he knows when he is up there it is business time (and its more comfortable for you/the groomer to be able to get the height right) but I have groomed my Standard in all sorts of places indoors and outdoors, up or down. I think it is most important that he trusts you and learns to stay still for bits of time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I picked up a "Master Equipment Foldable Grooming Arm" from Amazon and it is a big help when it comes to grooming my Standard Poodle boy. I generally don't have a second person available to hold him still, so it makes a huge difference. You could easily attach it to a heavy table that you already own, and then insert the arm backwards. That will allow you to use it with your poodle standing next to the table on the floor. The important thing is that it is a heavy table, or your poodle could pull it over it they decide it's time to take off and the loop is still around them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is another video I found helpful founderstand helpful: https://youtu.be/ogJJA-5zO_A

I didn't realize when I first started that you have to hold the back of the blade (the flat part) flat against the skin. I kind of angled the blade slightly, luckily I never cut my puppy. I bought the book Poodle Clipping and Grooming Book by Shirlee Kalstone for a few dollars on ebay. It was really helpful reading/learning tips, but the pictures are a little difficult to see because they are grey. Also, make sure sure you wash your puppy’s face, dry it well (can let it air dry) and brush the hair against the growth to make it stick out. I still use a little Bag Balm or other lotion meant for dogs under his eyes and around his nose because those are the sensitive areas that have been pink after shaving before.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
my standard poodle is about 19 weeks old. Today I finally got out my Bravura clippers to attempt to clip a little bit on his feet and at the base of his tail.

My breeder is also a groomer and she groomed the puppies from a young age. I loved the way she shaved down his snout and under the neck, base of tail/sanitary area, and feet.

But the groomer I have taken him to recently (at the vet clinic) did not shave down the area under his neck and that part is all scruffy. If I had more knowledge and skills with the clippers I would try to clip that area myself but is it "dangerous" to use the clippers in that area? It just makes me nervous. Do you have any tips or advice? I have watched some videos but I don't want to knick my puppy. thank you!
This is another video I found helpful founderstand helpful: https://youtu.be/ogJJA-5zO_A

I didn't realize when I first started that you have to hold the back of the blade (the flat part) flat against the skin. I kind of angled the blade slightly, luckily I never cut my puppy. I bought the book Poodle Clipping and Grooming Book by Shirlee Kalstone for a few dollars on ebay. It was really helpful reading/learning tips, but the pictures are a little difficult to see because they are grey. Also, make sure sure you wash your puppy’s face, dry it well (can let it air dry) and brush the hair against the growth to make it stick out. I still use a little Bag Balm or other lotion meant for dogs under his eyes and around his nose because those are the sensitive areas that have been pink after shaving before.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the help. I love those Sue Zecco videos, she’s great. I’m definitely taking baby steps with the grooming at this point.

·
Registered
351 Posts
you'll be fine! the bravura blades teeth are to close together to nick the skin. your puppy can sense your nerves just keep trying :dog:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts