Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a year old minipoo (Ozzy) he loves being outside with his big sister Crystal (my semi outside long haired golden/chow mix--she's used to and loves the cold weather!) The temps lately have been around 20-30 during the day (although its around 15 when I leave in the morning). His hair is long and he has a flannel coat that he wears. He also has access to a small house with a bed and towels on my covered back porch. He would love for me to leave him outside all day with Crystal (he HATES being left in the utility room (pretty good sized room). I just don't know if he would be too cold for him to be out most of the day? He is used to being outside all day just not with it this cold. :smow: Any thoughts? Am I just being over protective?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
This is a tough one... Even though I think my spoos would like to be outside all day, I don't let them (although I'm in North Dakota and we're getting -10 for high temperatures this week! A little different than 30 above!!)

Do you have snow at all? The bed and towels in a dog house would soon get full of snow being dragged in by dog feet. When the dogs lie on the bed/towels and their body heat melts the snow, now you have a damp dog and frozen towels - that would NOT be comfortable in 20-30 degree temperatures. If you don't have snow, beds and towels are fine, but if you DO have frozen precipitation on the ground, you might want to find some straw to place in the bottom of your dog house. The snow filters to the bottom of the straw and the dog has a dry place to hang out on top. Straw is also very insulating.

I know there are people whose dogs are outside 24/7 and they get used to it and then prefer not to be in the house, but since my dogs are my family members; I want them to be as comfortable (or more so) inside with us during the winter, than outside...

Hopefully someone else will have concrete reasons for/against leaving Ozzy outside during the day - You have to do what's right for you and him!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no snow on the ground --- I wouldn't leave him out if there was snow (although he loves playing in the snow!!) Both my dogs are family members and sleep inside (most of the time). In the summer and sometimes in the winter I can't make Crystal come in--she really likes the cold--but she has more than one place to get out of the elements but most of the time she just lays in the yard! LOL. The straw idea is a good one, I usually use cedar shavings in Crystal's house but most of the time she prefer's a corner under the deck that I can't get to!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts