Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a poodle owner with a couple of young standards. I like the way she grooms their tails. Rather than doing a pompom on the end, she does an even shave and leaves the entire tail at about 1 inch. I think this would look better on my dog than the pompom because she has rather fine fur and her pompom always looks more like a flat sided old feather duster.

So my question is, is it considered a poodle grooming no-no to evenly cut the tail hair?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I know a poodle owner with a couple of young standards. I like the way she grooms their tails. Rather than doing a pompom on the end, she does an even shave and leaves the entire tail at about 1 inch. I think this would look better on my dog than the pompom because she has rather fine fur and her pompom always looks more like a flat sided old feather duster.

So my question is, is it considered a poodle grooming no-no to evenly cut the tail hair?
Trillium and I cut Jenny's tail like this because the past groomer made it look like a paint brush. It looks great. Some groomers call this a bulrush tail. I like it a lot as long as the tail doesn't have a huge swirl to it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I attend a fair amount of grooming competitions and there is a very strong trend toward the straight, pom-less tail. Some top winners have a shaved tail. It does look more balanced when the ears are shaved as well. You can do it by scissoring rather than clipping....make it like a carrot, not a baby-bottle brush, a blunt rounded point on the tip. Shave the ear ande scissor very close to the leather to remove whispies. Do not let a floppy, too big topknot ruin the new clean look.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
just note that the desi trim linked to is NOT supposed to have a short tail, it's supposed to have the traditional pom tail, it's just that I was growing Paris out from the german trim where she had a short tail!!!

I do love the short carrot or sausage tail.... And no, there's no 'taboo' about it; you can do whatever you want with poodles!!!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts