Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a small 3-yo terrier mix, and a standard poodle puppy will be arriving at our home in about a month.

Usually, the terrier sleeps on a dog bed on the floor of the bedroom where my wife and I sleep. He's mostly attached to me, as I'm the primary caretaker. But recently, my 13-yo son has asked for the dog to sleep in his room, since his room is on the other side of the house, and he feels more secure when the dog is with him. So we've had the dog sleep there for the last couple of weeks. My son has to close the door to keep him there, otherwise he'll just come back to my room. The dog has the tendency to jump up on the bed with my son, which I don't like, but when my son is awake to notice, he tells the dog to get down.

Now when the puppy comes, she's going to sleep in a crate in my room until she's house-trained, and after that probably on a dog bed in my room like our other dog was doing. My instincts tell me that it would be better to have both dogs sleeping in the same room, but I also don't want to deprive my son of the comfort he has with the dog in his room. Do you all see any potential rank-related or other issues if one dog sleeps in my room, and the other in my son's room?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
My initial thought is that it’s not fair for your present dog to be forced to sleep in your son’s room. Why not let him sleep on the bed, maybe then he’ll really enjoy it and not want to come back to your room ?

I think you need to do whatever it takes to train the puppy, and that your room is probably the best place for the first weeks. Then, for later, I like my dogs to sleep together. I think animals of the same specie do better in pairs, whether it’s dogs, or cats, or whatever. I think your dogs should sleep together, either with you or your son. Trouble is, most dogs would prefer to sleep with their masters than the kids.

I think you’ll have to adjust as you go along, it’s hard to know for now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My childhood dog slept with me as a teenager, while other dogs slept elsewhere. I honestly don't think it's a big deal, and like having my dogs bond to me more than each other.

It was a bit of a challenge getting my childhood dog to sleep with me instead of my parents. What helped was switching who the food giver was so that it was my chore. Also she hadn't ever really been allowed to sleep with my parents (dad did not believe in dogs in bedrooms!), so the choice was my room or the couch, not my room or the parents room. Is it possible to offer your terrier that choice?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We currently have a small 3-yo terrier mix, and a standard poodle puppy will be arriving at our home in about a month.

Usually, the terrier sleeps on a dog bed on the floor of the bedroom where my wife and I sleep. He's mostly attached to me, as I'm the primary caretaker. But recently, my 13-yo son has asked for the dog to sleep in his room, since his room is on the other side of the house, and he feels more secure when the dog is with him. So we've had the dog sleep there for the last couple of weeks. My son has to close the door to keep him there, otherwise he'll just come back to my room. The dog has the tendency to jump up on the bed with my son, which I don't like, but when my son is awake to notice, he tells the dog to get down.

Now when the puppy comes, she's going to sleep in a crate in my room until she's house-trained, and after that probably on a dog bed in my room like our other dog was doing. My instincts tell me that it would be better to have both dogs sleeping in the same room, but I also don't want to deprive my son of the comfort he has with the dog in his room. Do you all see any potential rank-related or other issues if one dog sleeps in my room, and the other in my son's room?
I don't think it should be an issue for the dog to sleep in one room and the puppy in the other.

I also had my dogs sleep in my bed for years and it was never an issue. Your dog probably wants to sleep in the bed to feel comforted since he is sleeping in a new environment. As long as your son's sleep is not disrupted by the dog being in his bed it shouldn't be an issue. Dogs are able to learn that it is okay to sleep in a person's bed in one room, but when they are in another room they need to stay in their own bed.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great feedback so far!

Our terrier used to sleep on our bed, but invariably one of us would wake up during the night because he'd get close and prevent us from moving. Since we enforced him sleeping in his bed on the floor, he seems now to prefer it. We do let him up on the bed with us in the morning when we are awake and being lazy.

I'll try talking to my son about having the dogs sleep together in my room and see how he feels. Maybe he'll go along with it if he believes it will be better for the dogs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts