Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and daughter purchased a spoo for me for Christmas. My husband definitely wanted silver. Prancer is black with no white on him anywhere. He is 7 months old. Can he still change? On his AKC registration papers he is listed as silver does this matter?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Don't worry about it too much. Silver puppies are born blackish and the breeder can usually tell that they are going to be a silver adult.

Vinnie is still pretty black at a year old - just starting to look kind of like a "dusty black" with a bit of silver around his ears and muzzle. It will take a couple years for your puppy to turn to his adult color. I would just send in the papers.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Do you have a picture? What color is the muzzle? I don't know that you want to see white for silver anyway. It does take a while but Suri was clearly silver by one year - although her coat did have black.
Suri is just under a year here, she is the one on the right. (silvers do have different shades from what I have seen too) sistersistersister Suri Champion.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I do not have a picture yet but I will try to get 1 as soon as I can. I will go ahead and turn in the papers then. Maybe he will turn silver soon.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I'd send his papers in and register him as a BLUE. I can see my silvers changing at 2-3 weeks of age. I have a litter right now. Black mom....still a true jet black at 9 years of age and the silver male was silver faced when I bought him at 8 weeks.....he was truly silver by 2 years of age. They turn silver at the roots of their hair. My litter now appears to be 4 blacks...but when I look at the pads of their feeties, 2 have grey paw pads. They will be silvers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know a silver as a puppy. Their muzzle's shaved are very light and their bodies are black. There is just no mistaking them. I've seen some newborn puppies be determined silver because of how much lighter their muzzles are. I think it's possible that he might be a blue but by 7 months, you would know if he were silver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His muzzle is still black maybe a shade lighter. I had read that under the paws should be some silver hairs that is what I was trying to say when I mentioned the white. I thought I should be seeing some silver by now. My husband is disappointed. He didn’t want him to look like out baby we lost last March. Do I mark out silver and change it to blue on his papers? I love the pictures of the silvers they are beautiful. I had a silver mini in the past. I adopted her when she was 2 and lost her when she was 9. Thanks for the replies. :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yeah, a silver pup has a bright silver face when shaved by 8 weeks old, so if his face is still black at 7 months then whatever colour he is, it isn't silver!!!

If he's blue or black, we can't really say! Blues often look very black as pups and don't clear until they're much older... Photos showing his true current colour might help though...

·
Registered
448 Posts
At 7 months you should also be able to tell if he's a blue... but right, he is not silver.
Looking at his pedigree would help too... knowing colors of his parents help. Do you have the names of his sire and dam?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wouldn't looking at the pedigree research only work if those dogs are registered correctly? I find the whole thing pretty confusing. If you register a dog as a puppy, do you fill in the color at that time or what it will supposedly be? I've seen some white dogs that started out as light creams, apricots that were red, creams (and even a couple of whites) that were apricot puppies, blues that started out as black, etc. It seems even reputable breeders don't always agree, especially w/ puppies.

April, you should definatley post some pics. Everyone here loves looking at them and hopefully you will get a clear answer on your pup's color.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wouldn't looking at the pedigree research only work if those dogs are registered correctly?

True, but silver... well... that would be pretty odd to see coming from 2 black parents. :)
And there are not many true reds either, but apricot. If I can't meet the dogs in person, I look at photos.

There are some that state black when they should be blue, that's true too.
So yep... pretty confusing!

If you register a dog as a puppy, do you fill in the color at that time or what it will supposedly be?

Well, I still say you should know what color your pup is. If after shaving a 'red' face and it's muzzle is much lighter, it's not red. Same with blue or silver.
For me, my puppies are not sent their registration papers until after they are 'de-sexed'. By that time you should know what color they really are. And the breeder is suppose to fill that part out.

So yes April... shave your pup's face and post us a picture! :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
When the silver pups get their face, feet and tail clipped at about five weeks, all of the clipped spots are bright silver, and the long coat is very black. Yoy know then if a puppy is silver or not. And they look so cute with the extreme contrast! I would say your baby is definately not silver.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You know a silver as a puppy. Their muzzle's shaved are very light and their bodies are black. There is just no mistaking them. I've seen some newborn puppies be determined silver because of how much lighter their muzzles are. I think it's possible that he might be a blue but by 7 months, you would know if he were silver.
We saw some blues when we picked Bella and their muzzles were every-so-slightly lighter than their black bodies. Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed if the breeder didn't point it out and explain it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts