Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My standard is about 17 months old now, but she has very fine, straight/slightly wavy, soft hair. I'm not sure if she has ever gone through the coat change from what I've read. Her coat has been the same ever since she was about 2-3 months old, so it's very difficult to keep the shape of the hair in place. For example, when she plays and runs with other dogs, her hair becomes disheveled, which means more brushing just to maintain. Some of the other SPoos at the dog park seem to not have this problem as the hair retains its shape after they've wrestled. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
My guess is that after 17 months you won't see much change. Some poodles have poor coats especially the Whites, Creams, Apricots and Reds. IMHO, breeders really need to keep coat quality on their radar. Soft coats are harder for owners to maintain (the mat more) and they are harder to scissor to get that Poodlely look.

The only other avenue to explore are health issues. How thin is your dog's coat? Could it have a thyroid issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's a blue poodle with lots of brown highlights as her coat is still changing in color. I don't think she has a thyroid problem as both her parents have been tested before they were bred? After I brush her head, people always tell us that she has a nice afro. Since we groom her ourselves, it's always difficult to have a thick pom tail since the hair is straight; it droops rather than curl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts