Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've often heard Toy/Mini/Standard referred to as different breeds. Does that mean that if you breed a Standard to a Mini that it is a mixed breed? Or will it be a Standard or a Mini depending on how large it gets? If two standards have a pup that measures less than 15" is it a Mini?

Just curious about how it works.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've often heard Toy/Mini/Standard referred to as different breeds. Does that mean that if you breed a Standard to a Mini that it is a mixed breed? Or will it be a Standard or a Mini depending on how large it gets? If two standards have a pup that measures less than 15" is it a Mini?

Just curious about how it works.

They are actually one breed with three variations. Im not sure about the breeding question. On Mikeys registration paper's it gives me the option for all three though. Possibly they would go off the height then. I really don't know about that. :confused:

We need Sivaro !!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The Poodles are one breed bred down in size like the Dachshund. If you breed a Standard to a Mini you can have both Standard and Mini puppies depending on hight same goes for Mini and Toy. All Poodles should look the same they only difference being hight. The Standard is the same in all countries but in some they have another called the Dwarf which it between the Standard and Mini.

But most "interbred" dogs will favor one parent or the other.

Side FYI: The Schnauzers are not one breed but three different breeds with other breeds mixed in to achieve the desired looked. Same goes for the Miniature Bull Terrier. The Rough and Smooth Collie are one breed the only different being the Coat length. The German Pointers (Long, Smooth and Wire) are different breeds with different standards as are the Corgis. The Weimaraner have two coat variations (Smooth and Long)but are one breed

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
We need Sivaro !!!
LOL, where is Sivaro at?:(

Aww Im missed lol.

If a toy and mini was bred from, you would get minis, they would be small minis though, it would be much larger than toy size so to be reg'd it would go on mini height. Mini to a standard you would get a standard but a small standard. Again going with the height standard.

But the only ones allowed to do this is in Europe. So when a poodle is just under 13 inchs, it is classified a dwarf. They are the only countries to have a 4th breed standard. Every other country has to breed toy to toy, mini to mini and standard to standard.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The standard bred to a miniature is called a "Moyen" which is French for Medium. Moyen poodles normally are 30-40 pounds.

I'm not sure if the AKC allows the registration between the two. Does anyone else know?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts