Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone knows if when a sable phantom poodle fades, do they keep the color on their nose? Or will that fade too? For example my mom got a sable phantom puppy and she was really dark but just the tips of her hair and after her first hair cut now she is super light almost like a cream color and the only part that’s still dark is her ears cause they weren’t cut. But she never had dark on her nose. So if I got a sable phantom puppy with a black nose, would it fade to cream or stay dark. I am asking because I am buying a sable phantom puppy tomorrow and I can’t decide between two. The main difference is one has a black snout and one doesn’t...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I don't know about sables but my cream boy Remo's nose has faded. It seems to be seasonal. His dark, dark nose has never fully returned but it still ranges from darker to lighter. There was a sable boy in his litter with a dark nose, but I've not seen him since that first day.

Not much help for you. sorry. Maybe the pup will pick you :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I agree with ZM, but I am surprised that nose leather would fade as noted by Rose n Poos. I would use the coloring as the last tie breaker, not the first. Pick the pup that you think has the best personality for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are both healthy and have good personalities, I just don’t know which one to pick, that’s why I said the main difference is the color. I love them both and can’t decide! I am not picking him based off his color but when I can’t decide based on everything else then yes I’m going to look at which color I like better to help me pick one. I was just wondering if the marking on the face usually fade like the rest of the body or not.. it doesn’t matter to me either way but I was curious. I want both of them

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I agree with ZM, but I am surprised that nose leather would fade as noted by Rose n Poos. I would use the coloring as the last tie breaker, not the first. Pick the pup that you think has the best personality for you.
In my research on PF and a few other trusted sources, it's most likely "snow nose" aka "winter nose". It's probably related to less sun exposure and happens in a number of breeds, especially light colored dogs.

We were surprised too.

As the others have stated, close your eyes and try not to choose based on color since it may change in either/both/neither pup/s :)

2 more pics from Sept 2018 and Jan 2019. The first grouping was from June 2017 to April 2018

Attachments

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don’t know much about sables but if I understand correctly I think she is talking about the fur color on the muzzle, not the actual nose leather color. I believe that sable puppies don’t get snow nose like dogs on the red/apricot/cream/white spectrum do. I would say that if all other things are equal with temperament and conformation (which I really highly doubt, as usually one puppy will be better in either conformation or temperament or both) then the puppy with the darker muzzle would at least have a *chance* of staying darker, whereas the lighter muzzle definitely wouldn’t go darker later. But all sables I have seen as adults look super light except for the ears. If I liked both puppies temperaments I would definitely go with the puppy that had the better conformation and movement (and if they breeder isn’t able to tell you which one is better and exactly why they are better, then they aren’t a breeder I would get a dog from.) I would not consider the muzzle color as that will probably change anyways. I love beautiful poodles so beautiful movement and conformation would be right behind temperament in helping to make my choice.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you have more pics of videos of the puppies post them and we’d can help you evaluate. I can’t see the face on the second puppy as clearly but from those two pics based on the faces (shape not color) I prefer the second puppy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My husband liked the second one but I liked the first. We ended up getting the first puppy. With the darker nose. Yes I was talking about the color of the fur around muzzle, sorry if I worded that in a confusing way haha. I understand picking a puppy based on temperament and conformation but the breeder said these two males were both very calm and laid back which is what I was looking for. She said that the one with the darker nose was calmer and more relaxed during grooming though. He is just a pet so conformation did not matter to me, I am not going to breed him or show him. I just was curious if I ended up getting him if anyone knew if the dark fur around the muzzle fades like the rest of the body or stays dark.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Being calmer for grooming is a great reason to go with that pup. Congrats on your new baby! You will have to keep us poseted with photos as he grows and we can all learn if they keep the darker muzzle fur!

Reactions: Jessica_

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Congrats on that cute little boy. It looks like he is making new friends nicely.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Congratulations- he looks very cute!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am familiar with Winter Nose from the English Pointer breeds where orange can get it over the winter and than look like liver and lemon noses. Color fading can be quite intense - my pup started out quite red - he is listed as cream, and is now almost pure white. His father who is a Gch is listed as cream, but looks completely white as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am familiar with Winter Nose from the English Pointer breeds where orange can get it over the winter and than look like liver and lemon noses. Color fading can be quite intense - my pup started out quite red - he is listed as cream, and is now almost pure white. His father who is a Gch is listed as cream, but looks completely white as well.

Wow absolutely beautiful! My standard poodle Samson was very reddish as a puppy with white chest, feet, and face and he faded to almost a blonde color now. You can still see the chest, feet and face are lighter though. My standard Gigi was a dark chocolately brown color and now she is starting to get silver hairs and fade.

This is samson as a puppy

This is now

·
Registered
27 Posts
So cute! Curry and her siblings are Phantom colored...I have seen a few grown up and they all have faded,including her. Her facial markings sort of show up at the right angle, but I can’t even really tell on her chest or legs. She’s 6? Weeks ish versus 15 months here!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts