Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a mini poodle from a poodle rescue. She is in fact a puppy from the puppy mill in Kaufman Texas. She was with the mom when we saw her, a litter of 4. Her and the other girl are so much smaller than the two boys and she seems the most shy and/or lethergic of all the puppies. We cannot bring her home because she must be spayed before leaving the rescue, and she is not 3 pounds yet. We visited her and my daughter and I tried to put her on her back as I was told this is a good test of temperment. She hated it and stuggled until she was let up. She is always in the back by herself when we go visit. At first I thought great she will be laid back/quiet, now I wonder if she is going to be skittish and snappy. My daughter is 5 and is a little afraid of smallish dogs. I do not want a puppy that is going to end up biting but we are in love with her already. We looked for so long for a puppy and in the end after driving miles and miles for weekend after weekend, we could not find one person I felt comfortable giving my money to. So even though she is a rescue and they still charge a pretty big fee (500.00), I felt better for doing it. I am just concerned now about her health/and/or temperment. She is only 2.40 lbs and is estimated to be 6-8 weeks. Is this size normal? Anyone with time for a thought please let me know.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know as humans we want to pick the little shy puppy in the back because it hits out guilt button but you are just setting your self up for trouble. If they are antisocial and/or aggressive at such a young age its been my experience they will not grow out of it.

You need to pick a puppy who wants to be with you and is happy to see you, one that is wagging its tail and inviting play.

Personally, I would look for another puppy/pick another one of the litter (if possible).

EDIT: Just saw your other thread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, everyone the Star Saga ends with the Rescue Rep telling me I am paranoid, that she has a PERSONAL disliking of me, and screaming to come get my F---ing money back. All this with a classic Texas accent i.e.,"a personal dislakin of me". I will assume because of the stress one must endure to do rescue work that this inappropriate and concerning behavior is not her usual. However, I will be sending my husband to deal with it because I feel a bit like there might be a physical altercation if she starts screaming in my face in person like she did over the phone, and that would be counter productive. There is a whole long story here, but I will have to write it later as I must go to Soccer practice. Oh, I have to write this, when I said I was going to crate train, she freaked. Like the dogs are not in a crate now? She said I should buy my five year old a waterproof mattress cover and let the dog sleep with her!! UUHHH...OKAAAAY.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I won't get into a whole long rant about it, but some rescue people need to get a grip, if they can't deal w/ people in a polite manner, then they need a different position. They do need to screen adoptive homes and make sure it's a good match for the individual home, but there is no excuse for the kind of behavior you had to deal with. I don't like the "we're doing you a huge favor by letting you take this dog" attitude. It goes both ways, you're taking a dog in need and they're providing you w/ a loving companion. You did nothing wrong and I know you'll find the right pup.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, everyone the Star Saga ends with the Rescue Rep telling me I am paranoid, that she has a PERSONAL disliking of me, and screaming to come get my F---ing money back. All this with a classic Texas accent i.e.,"a personal dislakin of me". I will assume because of the stress one must endure to do rescue work that this inappropriate and concerning behavior is not her usual. However, I will be sending my husband to deal with it because I feel a bit like there might be a physical altercation if she starts screaming in my face in person like she did over the phone, and that would be counter productive. There is a whole long story here, but I will have to write it later as I must go to Soccer practice. Oh, I have to write this, when I said I was going to crate train, she freaked. Like the dogs are not in a crate now? She said I should buy my five year old a waterproof mattress cover and let the dog sleep with her!! UUHHH...OKAAAAY.
Can't wait for the story about this. This behavior is just unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Well, everyone the Star Saga ends with the Rescue Rep telling me I am paranoid, that she has a PERSONAL disliking of me, and screaming to come get my F---ing money back.
I'm so sorry, but it's for the best. :hug:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll put the whole story up when I have a solid 1/2 hour to sit and write. It is so crazy.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I won't get into a whole long rant about it, but some rescue people need to get a grip, if they can't deal w/ people in a polite manner, then they need a different position. They do need to screen adoptive homes and make sure it's a good match for the individual home, but there is no excuse for the kind of behavior you had to deal with. I don't like the "we're doing you a huge favor by letting you take this dog" attitude. It goes both ways, you're taking a dog in need and they're providing you w/ a loving companion. You did nothing wrong and I know you'll find the right pup.
Totally agreed. Rescues do great work but they also have to have some people skills and understand the fears of prospective adopters and address them... Rescues like this will just drive potential adopters to get their pups through less desirable means.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Something should be done about that. I would contact the rescue she works with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone. The whole story is that last Wed. they said okay come pick up your puppy. So we did. As we were leaving the director said, okay now she neeeds to eat every two hours or she will go into HypGly shock cause she only weighs 2.65 pounds and she was distaught that I planned on crate training, and gave me her "suggestion" on what to do with the puppy at night which was to get my 5 year old a waterproof mattress cover and let the dog sleep with her. Which is not only unsanitary but could be dangerous for a dog that tiny to be rolled on etc. Anyhow even though I did not want a dog that small and the feeding times are that of an infant, I said okay. I bought several different kinds of wet puppy food and dry. We got her home she was happy and bouncing but did not want to eat the first puppy food,though she took like a bite from my finger. Anyway long story she was not wanting to eat or drink every two hours and with everything I was trying for fear of her going into shock she developed diarhea. She was still lively but I was becomeing so worried I could not even sleep, I stayed up until 4;30 a.m. the first night. By Friday I was worried enough to call the rescue, and they instructed me to bring her in. They put her back in with the mother and said to leave her and the vet would see her on Monday. Well meantime I called my vet and explained the situation and even though it would have been lucrative for them, she said, "if it was me I would run, not walk away from that situation. That I was asking for heartache." They did agree to the bile acid test but not unless the pup was over 3 pounds. So monday the calls to me started, and by today the director was calling me repeatedlly. I called back and she said the pup is fine and their vet said it was fine ( found out later it was a vet tech) and I was to come get it and once I left it was my problem and I needed to take it to my own vet if there was a problem with it. I asked if it could stay with them until it weighed over 3 pounds, in case it started not wanting to eat again, at least it would weigh enough to survive with missing a meal. That is when she said, "you just need to come get your money back, because I am takin' a personal dislakin' to you." Oh, she did say I was paranoid and nervous earlier in the conv. So I said, " you dislike me based on the fact that you have made an assesment about my character that is not accurate and inappropriate?"..or somthing to that effect. I said, " you want me to take a dog that should not be in a new environment and I paid 500. for that dog to be vetted and healthy to the best of your knowledge". Then she starts yelling, yes yelling, that I probobly made the dog sick, and stressed the dog out by putting it in a crate, she is in crying ( I think) and on a tirade at this point. BTW. we ended up not crating the dog, we used a baby fence to make a pen and put pee pads in there and food and water and toys, for teething and put her little crate in there with the door open. She went in the crate out of choice to sleep or lie down. Only when we were sleeping or not at the house, or needed to do somthing and she could not be watched. She was so tiny she could have gotten hurt had we just left her unsupervised. And I only left like twice during that time, so I do not think her "theory" holds water. She ended the call by screaming at me to come get my f----ing money!! WOW!! I was in shock, then in tears. I have volunteered over the years with at least 10-15 different rescues in Houston. My animals were all resues, I have worked with some high strung individuals but this was crazy. I have not had anyone take a "dislakin" to me before, or at least they did not say it. I was so upset, and then I calmed down and realized that the horrible decision I had been wrestling with had been made very easy. I now am positive that it would not have worked with Star. I am not sure If I was in the wrong or she was, but I do know I cannot take on a dog I believe is already sick. And now because Ms. Director does not like me, I don't have to feel guilty. I know I did nothing wrong, I was totally dedicated to that dog and making it work out, and that lady has issues that are not about me and my ability to take care of an animal. I called her back and told her my husband would be the one getting the money and bringing the records back because I did not want to be face to face with her. I also told her that I refused to take what she said to me personally, even though she wanted me to, and that I was going to excuse her inapproriate behavior and chalk it up to her being stressed out. I also wished her well on her mission and told her I would pray Star could find a happy home. So yes I took the high road even though I did not want to. I am not usually one to be subdued but in this case I felt a little relieved. Later on I called the other breeder from the same kennel club who has an older puppy for us to meet, and we got to talking about the director, she knows of her from the show circut I guess, and if they were friends I did not think I wanted to move foward so as to avoid conflict. Well, it turns out I am not the only one who has had an issue with this person.

I am sad and my little girl will be heartbroken when I tell her Star is not coming back, but I will continue to look and I will not let this sour me on poodles. The time I spent with Star gives me an insight into the breed I was not aware of. She was so smart even at her young age and she turned out to be really sweet, my husband even fell in love with her. I ask that everyone pray she finds a family who is ready and willing and able to take on a possible special needs dog. There is nobody to report this to as the lady is the director, owner, or whatever, even if there was.... I just want to be done with it and I do not want to spend my time making her life harder and more miserable than it must already be.

Thanks for all the support and well wishes, please pray for little Star...I feel her road may be a hard one.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't what else to say. I'm happy that you realize this wasn't your fault and you haven't taken it personally. I think you made the right decision and they are putting Star in danger by not taking your concerns seriously. It also sounds like you have a good vet.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
What a story! It's a shame you had to go through such a saga, but I think it ended up for the best. Who knows what could be wrong with that pup and it doesn't sound like you would have had much support from the rescue if things had gone badly.

It's great this woman is helping dogs out, but she might want to reconsider her dealings with adopters...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Oh and be sure to let us know when you have a new puppy friend entering your home! I'm happy this experience hasn't soured you on poodles. :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
What a story! It's a shame you had to go through such a saga, but I think it ended up for the best. Who knows what could be wrong with that pup and it doesn't sound like you would have had much support from the rescue if things had gone badly.

It's great this woman is helping dogs out, but she might want to reconsider her dealings with adopters...
What bugs me is that people like that think they are helping the dogs, but if they chase off adopters, they really aren't. Instead they are wharehousing them, which is bad for the dogs, and possibly turning people off rescue alltogether.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE!! So earlier today I was crying about missing Star and my darling hubby interpreted this to mean I wanted her back. So while I was out looking at another poodle he went to the rescue and demanded Star back, regardless of her medical condition, he tells me he believed she would not get adaquete care there and he could not stand seeing me so upset. So Star is back, I hope she is well, or at least will be with my vets help, since I am sure she cannot be returned now. I know he meant well and his heart was in the right place so I will roll with it. I am gald to see her, I did miss her furry little self. I just know I am in for a hard time. But what can I do? P.S. my hubby is not one for grand gestures or confrontation so it must be important to him. I am sure I will survive however it turns out. Thanks again for the support.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Wow, what a story. :(
The rescue sounds totally out of line, I can't believe she swore at you. Unacceptable. Completely. Unprofessional to boot.

At any rate, good luck with Star. I'm sending good thoughts her way. It sounds like your vet will be a big help in all of this as well.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Wow, hubby sounds like a real keeper! I hope everything works out well. I'm glad she's w/ you, I don't think the rescue cared about her potential health problems and most adopters, don't do the research you have. I know this is best for her and hope it doesn't cause you any heartache.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, he even took off work early so it would be a surprise, and he NEVER wants to miss out on making $. She seems okay so far (fingers crossed) I have an appointment to see my favorite vet at the practice on monday. I hope she does not need to go before then as I really trust her judgement.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts