Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum, and would like to ask a question about my 7 month old miniature poodle Monty. He was neutered at the age of three months because he had to have his umbilical hernia fixed, so they did the neutering as well. He is a male dog, and never has shown any signs of aggression, dominance (we have 2 older dogs who are dominant and he knows that he is not the 'top dog' and surrenders to them) or any sexual behaviors i.e mounting.
He is very attached to me and follows me everywhere. Last week I was sitting down, and he was playing with his toys, and he came over to me and mounted my leg and 'humped' it. I wasn't sure at first if that was what he was doing, as he often jumps up at me (which we are teaching him not to do and succeeding well) and wraps his legs around mine but has never ever 'humped'.
He then did it again straight away after the first time ( he looked a bit surprised too!) and has done it off and on a few times, only to me and not anyone else or his toys etc. Our other dogs who are 13 (maltese poodles) have never ever done this at all (females) However, we had a toy poodle when I was a child (also a female who was spade) who used to do it all the time to everybody's legs, right up until she passed away. Her 'humping' was definitely not a dominance thing as she was the sweetest most laid back dog. I think she just enjoyed it!
I don't think Monty's sudden humping is dominance either, as he is also laid back and doesn't seem at all like he is trying to be dominant. He also seems to just enjoy it? I am unsure what to do? I stopped him doing it twice last night, and he kept pawing at my leg (i was sitting on the floor with my legs flat) trying to get me to bend it up so he could hump it. He only seems to do it to me? Is this normal after the dog has been neutered (4 months ago!). I wonder why he has only just started now (I'm wondering if he accidentally discovered it when jumping at my legs?). Any help would be appreciated:) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He is now "owning" you. You are HIS woman, HIS human, HIS property. It will go from humping to guarding you fiercly. Don't let it continue.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hard to say why he started. However, now that he has, you need to give him a very firm correction if he ever does it again so that he understands that it is ungentlemanly behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts