Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took them for there check up when they where 8 weeks old and all of them had two descended testicles and the doc said that they where very well developed for there age.

Last week we took the two remaining boys out for a walk, and Quincy walked up to a fence pole lifted his leg and marked the pole. This was the first time I saw this but my hubby said that he had seen him do this a few times.

Quincy has also been scratching the grass after every potty trip and he has been doing this since 5 or 6 week old.

Today I was grooming Frodi and was holding him still between his back legs, well he got aroused and started humping the air and before I could stop him he had a tie with him self :doh:

Is this normal for 10 week old pups ?
There where 6 pups in the litter all boys.

·
Registered
768 Posts
my puppy does that, he scratches the floor after weeing sometimes and humped my mum the first time he met her and got so excited before I could even control it that he got his winkie stuck out for 10 mins, I was just about to call the emergency vet when it popped back in.

Then yesterday he was humping another dogs head and got it stuck out again but it went back in after a few minutes this time but I think it hurt him as he yelped a bit.

I thought it was just my puppy, I dont think his testicles have even descended yet!

he is 9 and a half weeks old.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I had a ten week old puppy that I bred that did this also It stayed out for about 30 min. and by then I was worried so I call the vet and he said as long as it did not stay out long enough to dry out or turn purple ( ouch ) it would be find.

·
Registered
372 Posts
my puppy does that, he scratches the floor after weeing sometimes and humped my mum the first time he met her and got so excited before I could even control it that he got his winkie stuck out for 10 mins, I was just about to call the emergency vet when it popped back in.

Then yesterday he was humping another dogs head and got it stuck out again but it went back in after a few minutes this time but I think it hurt him as he yelped a bit.

I thought it was just my puppy, I dont think his testicles have even descended yet!

he is 9 and a half weeks old.
I'd bring it up to the vet if neither of his testicles have dropped yet, and keep an eye when they do.

Lincoln did the humping-air-when-held-there-during-grooming thing when my friend groomed him for the first time at around 4.5 months. She said alot of dogs will do that and it's pretty common (still gross! lol)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mentioned it to the vet the first visit and they said not to worry till he is 6 months old

Well if he is not ment to be a show dog and you dont plan on using him for breeding, then I would not worry.
I could just be more expensive to have him neuterd if they don't drop

·
Registered
768 Posts
He can't be shown as he is a Parti and we don't want to breed him, I would like him done as soon as possible really.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is not unusual behavior at all. You will just need to be careful how you handle him when you groom him. :)

Personally I would LOVE to have a boy who lifted his leg this early. I hate that stage where the boys pee on their front legs.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
There you go Winnow...lucky me!!! I had a Whippet who peed the the backs of his front legs until he was two. Big diiference though between a Whippet and a Standard Poodle in puppy coat. I could just wipe Asia's legs down with a wet towel.

·
Registered
768 Posts
he had hair on his penis but the groomer trimmed it, I presumed this was normal, I guess that hair gets really long too. I will have a go at trimming his belly hair where he pees on it as it goes all stiff. Maybe we will give him another bath, he didnt like his first one.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel so much better now :D

I was getting afraid that they where all full of testosterone or something :S

Since there mom does not have a female bone in her body, she marks just like a male even when she is not in heat and always finds the tallest place to do nr 2.
But think god she has always avoided conflict with other dogs so she is not a total macho (fe)male
But she came out of a litter of 9 and there where only 2 girls.

And now she had a litter of 6 boys lots of male hormones going around :p

·
Registered
918 Posts
Jasper was a bit older when he started lifting his leg. On and off since around 4 months. Unfortunately he prefers to pay attention to nearly everything else so he hits his front leg all the time. I miss him squatting :(. My favorite is when he really gets enthusiastic about lifting his leg and falls over LOL.

I have to say out of all the male dogs I've ever had, he acts the most male. He marks, lifts his leg, humps (luckily only occasionally), all the fun stuff. He is just all boy through and through. On the flip side of being a big lug, he is the biggest Mamma's boy and can't get enough cuddling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts