Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my research for my perfect poodle friend, I have come across a breeder who has an adult male toy poodle who is neutered and housetrained and currently recovering from surgery for Legg-Calve-Perthes. He is 3 months post surgery, and has some restrictions on walking on stairs but otherwise apparently has the all clear.

I am still in the very early stages of considering this, and if I decide to move forward will of course get my vet's opinion, but just wondered if any of you had any knowledge or experience with this condition. What is the long-term recovery like?

I'm hoping to do agility with my dog (casually rather than seriously competitively, but it would be doing lessons once a week). My gut says it's probably not a great idea to run a dog with a hip disorder in agility, but that may not be at all true! Does anyone know if a dog that has had surgery for this can go back to normal levels of activity once it has recovered?

·
Registered
843 Posts
It is an inherited disease more common in smaller dogs.
After surgery and subsequent physical therapy there is no reason why the pup's activity level should be limited in any way.
But talk to a vet and do your research first.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Frank has LP - he is an IG. We did surgery when he was about eight months old - neutering him at the same time and he does just fine. He competes in agility trials with no problems. He also has no problem chasing his sister or bunnies around the yard!

Post surgery, the dog should have no restrictions (other than chewing out sutures :biggrin:). You want to encourage movement and do physical therapy to build up lost muscle. Swimming is a great P.T.

How does the dog walk on the leg? It should be about normal by now.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback! Agility IG, it's good to hear first hand experience. The breeder said he had a very slight limp that should be resolved in the next couple of months, once the muscle has fully rebuilt. I wonder if she's been swimming him?

I'm still doing my research, but am interested in meeting him and seeing if we are a fit. We've always had our dogs as pups, so getting an adult with a fully formed personality would be very different. I do find the whole housebroken thing appealing though, as I'm on my own in a condo and will be making many trips down and up if I get a wee pup!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
In my research for my perfect poodle friend, I have come across a breeder who has an adult male toy poodle who is neutered and housetrained and currently recovering from surgery for Legg-Calve-Perthes. He is 3 months post surgery, and has some restrictions on walking on stairs but otherwise apparently has the all clear.

I am still in the very early stages of considering this, and if I decide to move forward will of course get my vet's opinion, but just wondered if any of you had any knowledge or experience with this condition. What is the long-term recovery like?

I'm hoping to do agility with my dog (casually rather than seriously competitively, but it would be doing lessons once a week). My gut says it's probably not a great idea to run a dog with a hip disorder in agility, but that may not be at all true! Does anyone know if a dog that has had surgery for this can go back to normal levels of activity once it has recovered?
My Zoey (toy poodle) has(d) LCP she had the FHO surgery and she still has a limp but no pain anymore. Sometimes she does not use it at all, but I have no pool to do alot of swimming with her so the leg muscle is taking a long time to develope again. During the FHO surgery they cut the femoral head off because they are deformed in most cases and do not fit in the socket correctly, after that the muscles hold the femoral bone in place. Zoey was off restrictions after only 2 weeks, no idea why he would still be after 3 mo.

Agility, they LOVE to please, and if he has the personality for it, he will be fine, most toys do not have the stamina for competative agility after a surgery like that but for fun, you will both enjoy it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
legg-calve perthes research study

I am a researcher at Clemson University working on canine Legg-Calve Perthes and Patella Luxation. We are asking owners who have poodles with either of these diseases to enroll them in our study. My website with more information is:
Association Mapping Study of Legg-Calve Perthes & Patella Luxation in Poodles

This research is being funded by the Poodle Club of America Foundation and is entirely nonprofit and public. We are not offering any type of treatment; our hope is to eventually offer a genetic test, allowing breeders to stop passing these diseases onto the next generation of dogs. Please contact me if your pet could be a part of this research project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts