Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I cut the hair around my toys rear end and tail he goes around with his tail cocked to the side and he will run to the rug to sit on it, he doesn't drag his bum just sits. I think he is irritated but I only use scissors on him. Any way to avoid this? I also wonder how short can you clip the hair for summer?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie does this once in a while, not as much now really. But if you don't see any irritation I am sure he is just getting use to it. Olie would lick his and do circles. And considering you are using scissors, there is not clipper burns so...thats my best guess:)

Suri is in a Miami clipped with a 7f all over accept the poms, Top know and ears. Olies body is the same length. I have not cut his legs yet! Very long! The 7F is very close, maybe a half inch?.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
They just feel a "draft" since there is less hair. I have some dogs that are groomed that HATE being short back there. Not a thing is wrong. I check and I look and I spray and powder but they still sit, drag, scoot and try to lick. I have gone so far as to clip a regular clip for their groom, but I leave a little pubic patch (which looks absolutely ridiculous)...nice neat groom with a puff between the leg area. I think the best thing is to spray it with some anti-itch or colloidal silver and then go for a long, fun walk. They just need to take their minds off that patch for a while.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Some times it's better to go SHORTER than leave it a bit longer. The hairs cut short (but not shaved off) can TICKLE the anus and feel funny to them. You can try going shorter (using a 10 blade) and see if that helps, but you can always powder the area to relieve the tickle :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I get the "you didnt have to clip down there"performance and one I especially hate and feel so bad about is when I pluck the hair from their ears. I have stopped cleaning the ears as soon as I've plucked and do it the next day, it seems to irritate them a lot less.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts